Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antelope hunt?

kelcher

Guys,

I know this is an Iowa Whitetail forum, but I was thinking about trying a Wyoming bowhunt this coming fall and my plans for a spot fell through. I am on a budget so I would like to avoid an outfitter. I have heard that the landowners out there are fairly receptive to hunters, but I don't have time to drive all of the way out there to find a spot. Applications are due by March 15th. Everyone on this forum seems to be pretty knowledgeable and friendly,with one or two exceptions, any suggestions?

Contact the chamber of commerce at Rawlings, Wymoing and ask for a list of landowners that allow hunting. Many of the landowners charge a tresspass fee from anywhere between 50 and 200 dollars sometimes higher. But sometimes you might get a pasture to hunt all to yourself that could be up to 5,000 acres. You could also apply to hunt at public areas like the red desert. That would not cost you a tresspass fee. You might want to ask the game department what the populations are like in some parts of Wyoming. They had a bad winter kill last year. Good Luck.

I checked into this a year or so ago. Big Buck is correct.

What I found was an area called the checkerboard region. It might be the same thing Big Buck calls the red desert. The railroad went through and got a whole bunch of land, then sold or gave some back to settlers. The kept every other chunk of property so the region looks like a checker game board. Private/Public/Private/Public some of this is accessible. If I recall you can hunt the railroad property. It is in south central region.

I didn't do the hunt.

Have you thought about hunting western South Dakota? Lots of antelope and lots of public land. I will tell you one thing though. The land is flat and the hunting is very hard. Good Luck!

Maybe NW Nebraska as well? Took a nice buck up there in the early '90s.

Just a thought,

TLH

Thanks for the input guys. I had thought about South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, and Nebraska, but everywhere I looked I had read that Wyoming had the largest population and the best chances of drawing a tag. I just asked for a list of landowners, but you never know if they are all full or if they've changed their minds about letting people hunt. I guess the more options the better at this point. Thanks again for the help.

Kelcher, if you are still looking for the name of a Wyoming landowner, email me at [email protected]. I hunted on land near Sheridan in the northeast part of the state, just south of I-90. He charged a trespass fee and was a heck of a nice fellow. (We killed some nice goats, too!)

MO

kelcher, I believe South Dakota is unlimited archery antelope tags. My application deadline sheet says there is no deadline for drawing. If you apply, you'll get your tag.

I currently live in western South Dakota (USAF) and the antelope hunting out here is amazing! There is tons of public land. If you need some info let me know...

Top Bottom