Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anti-Technology?

NebraskaWhitetail

With all of the focus that has been given in recent years to advances in game cam technology, I can't help but wonder if there are still a few here who prefer to prepare for their deer hunting season without cameras? Anyone who makes a point to go against the grain of technology and focus on more traditional scouting alone and rely on pure woodsmanship? My intent of this thread isn't to speak ill of game cams, but I was just curious to know how many take a traditional approach ot hunt preparation?

I use a trail camera but because of the limited coverage I don't think it has made any difference or given any edge to my hunts. I recently posted that I would be out with mchunter for the youth opener tomorrow in chase of a deer shown in a trail camera post. This deer along with a couple other mature bucks had been observed by us for several weeks and the camera was placed because of those sightings. I do place the camera in hopes of capturing that unseen monster on film but it is a low percentage chance and for us has never happened. If it wasn't for a brother’s conversation with a neighbor I wouldn't have known where these deer moved when they seemed to lay off the beans. My point is the cameras are fun and could be an aid but if you’re not a woodsman, and a little lucky, you likely won't get pictures much less harvest a deer you've targeted. I would qualify my thoughts by saying camera on every tree may make my statement untrue. Lots and lots of cash!

I can’t say I’m anti-technology, although I don’t choose to use trail-cams and still pace off yardages instead of using laser rangefinders. IMHO trail-cams and technology have not replaced woodsmanship – having a snapshot of a good buck gives a hunter no absolute advantage. They still have to decipher sign, read the terrain, and set stands in such a way to get that buck within bow range. In addition, they have to be skilled enough to prevent tipping off the buck or blowing the set-up. And finally, they still have to execute the shot when the moment of truth arrives. To me this is 95% of the hunt.

I believe the day will come in the not to distant future where trail cams will be replaced by digital video that will download images in real-time to a website. Hunters will be able to actually monitor fields and trails from anywhere – including their desk at work or the Internet café down the street. To me however, there is still great excitement and anticipation in not knowing what the buck making the rubs on the thigh-sized trees looks like (or scores) until he’s quartering away at 20 yards or I’m standing over him at the end of a short blood trail.

We bought a cheap game cam just to get some pictures of a deer. Not so much as a scouting tool. but dont you think finding wheere to place your cams is traditional scouting. I dont see how game cams raises you chance of getting a deer it just raises the excitement to go out. i think if i was chasing an individual deal with a lot of cams that it would definitely make a difference.

I have a game, cam, a cheapy, stealth cam, I've actually never used it. I scout the traditional way, by driving to town for the mail once a week!
laugh.gif

I don't have any fancy gadgets, like rangefinders either, it's not that I'm anti technology, it's just that my wife and son take presedence over whitetails when it comes down to what I'm going to spend my money on, I feel better buying him good winter clothes than myself another fancy hunting gadget, i don't think I need them..........though there are a few I wouldn't mind having.

Yeah, right now I am working on a new technology that will instantly find shed antlers the minute they fall off. Actually, it is a dream I had and once I figure it out I am going to make a bunch of moolah!!!!

Seriously, I use trail cameras just to see what is out there. I absolutely love getting those pictures back with the hope of getting that once in a lifetime monster on film.... It has not happened to me yet but hopefully one day it will!!!!

I think the only way you could use them to your advantage would be to have a whole squadron of them hanging off of a lot of different trees in your hunting area..... Like Mr. wood said, it would take a lot of $$$$$$$$$ to make that happen.....

Mark...

Trail cams are more of a hobby to me now that I started building them. I don't use them so much as a scouting tool but as a learning tool of deer activity and the times it occurs. Amazing what you see on the pic after the sun goes down.

I am such a freak about deer and hunting mature bucks that it gives me something to do in the off season like watch them grow, learn winter patterns, monitor trails in areas I am not hunting......etc.

i rely on luck and what i've learned from year to year to dictate on where my stands go. the land i hunt is a mess of funnels and it doesn't seem to matter where i hunt because the same places each year provide deer and sightings of great bucks. i just use early season hunting to pin point the main doe travel areas and then move in accordingly.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, right now I am working on a new technology that will instantly find shed antlers the minute they fall off. Actually, it is a dream I had and once I figure it out I am going to make a bunch of moolah!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is a dream and not to say it can't happen but I would not own one. It would give the same feeling as holding an antler my buddy found. It just wouldn't be the same, the satisfaction and the thrill of holding up a dink.

To me, technology has gone to far, today we almost have to own property to hunt, tomorrow we'll have to pay. I think to many dollers have been thrown around in the hunting world with some big names. I feel hunting is a tradition and should be "old school". To see a inline muzzle loader disc is, to me not really a musket, its kinda in the line of a crossbow, not that being inline with the barrel makes you shoot better but it inhances your hunt. I think a certain bit of technology is great for those who need it, like the disabled. For finding deer patterns, aren't trails, turds, rubs, scrapes and sheds, enough to give you the asurance that a certain buck has a living room around. I know time is not on everybodys side but wouldn't a few mornings/evenings a week or even to spotlight a certain area, but to spend 10-15 hours a week in an area that your hunting to scout and watch for activity. I could drag on, and its all really neat and how it works, but do we need it.

Three weeks ago I was glassing a mountainside overlooking a great big swamp/marsh(prime moose area). It was getting late and the sun had almost went down and across the valley a man was on a 4 wheeler coasting down a trail that I did not see and playing a electronic call with moose fighting and all kinds of mating calls with brush thrashing.,... It sounded rediculous and he played it straight for 15 minutes while he rolled down the mountain, boy was I embarresed to have hunted so close to such a fool. That next day I hiked in over 3 ridges over from the fool and hadone heck of a experiance stalking a smart old bull moose. My best tactic and learning experiance was to get away from technology. Those animals Know that machines and idiots with thier electronic calling devices around... They don't want to be swept up over some idiot that may fumble apond them, they get outta dodge.

I am anti-technology.

I use my cameras mainly to find out what is in the area and what has survived the previous year. Like others have said, unless you have a high number of cameras out, it is difficult to use them to pattern a specific animal
As for technology being bad...Maybe some aspects of life would be easier or better without so much of it. But having it gives us these computers that we use to gain valuable information on this site, and in my opinion is by far more information that can be gained from any camera.
To not use technology would mean that we should be out there hunting naked with sticks and sharp rocks. That could be fun for some, and to each his own, but I want a bit of technology myself.
Man is an evolving species, and with that comes advancements in technology. In this great country of our's we are fortunate to have the freedom to choose what ever amount of technology we want to use. Either a little or all or somewhere in between. It's all up to the individual.
As long as whatever technology a person is using does not infringe upon another persons pursuits,then it shouldn't be looked down on.
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

My service record is clean. Unfortunately I didn't make it in....bad knees.
frown.gif

You couldn't pay me enough to run for a public office. Way to many skeletons in my closet that don't need to come out.
shocked.gif
Thanks for thinking of me though.
grin.gif

Clinton is the one who didn't inhale and never had ..... oh this is a family site never mind.
grin.gif

mole

Top Bottom