Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler Craze ???

D

deerman

What is it that make a hunter be so selective on what deer to take?Do we worship antlers? JUST WHAT IS IT?Some kind of power? Do we want to be recognized? I was asking myself these questions over the weekend.Will the future of whitetail hunting end up like Bass fishing tournements?Come on you guys and gals lets hear ya out there!!!Post some thoughts!!! Openning day is less than a week away and I'm so hyped.Lets get this board SMOKIN!!!Ask yourself these questions and post what your soul says.

What makes me so selective, partly anyway, is the # of deer tags we get.With only one either sex bow tag its either be selective or be done early.Two years in a row when I was getting started bowhunting I killed the first buck that came in one was about 2 weeks into the season and one the second day of season.Let me tell ya, it makes for a long winter knowing everyone else is still bowhunting and your done till late season muzzleloader.

I guesse the other part is Ive killed enough smaller bucks now that Id rather watch em and wait for a big one(that might never show up) or wait till the late season and take a doe.One difference between us and bass fishing, they throw theirs back, when we let go of the string its to late to wish you woulda waited.

For me it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Some days a buck just passing by my stand gets no response from me and the next week I rattle or grunt the same one in I'm liable to stick him. Some days I'm just not in a killing mood. Of course when a big boy is present I'm always in kill mode!
Pupster

Why am I selective? Because it used to be a challenge for me to take any buck with any weapon...shotgun, rifle or bow. Over the years, my skills have improved and so I've had to lift my goals so I am equally challenged. Right now, that's probably a near 140 class buck or better and taking him only with a bow.

I don't worship antlers, but I was born with deer hunting in my soul and a good rack always turns my head. I think the rack symbolizes and represents all the fine qualities that make a mature buck such a trophy, and killing one such an accomplishment. Intelligence, wariness, power, dominance, stealth, patience, etc are all qualities that help those bucks survive to an older age to become kings of the woodlots. To defeat those abilities takes some skills and dedication. Don't rule out supply and demand either. There are a limited number of big bucks out there. Since Not everyone can do it so there is a premium on the achievement.

I agree with Scott regarding consistency when it comes to admiring another's accomplishment in hunting. Anyone can get lucky once. I don't understand how guys idolize or get autographs from a guy that shoots a state record or world record when some of those guys have never, nor ever will take anything even close to book class again because they just got lucky and don't put anything more into their hunting each year than they did the year before.

By nature, humans like attention and compliments. And, we are social creatures, so we share experiences, both good and bad. If I couldn't share any hunting stories (successful or unsuccessful), I'd definitely derive less enjoyment from hunting. But I'd still hunt. I would definitely appreciate recognition, maybe even some respect for regularly getting a nice buck. But I think its important to keep stuff like that at a minimum. Nobody should get jealous or idolize another hunter nor any human for anything. We are all equal in the eyes of God. However, I don' t think its bad to congratulate a guy or to pick his brain to see if they'll share a tip. I think I'm happiest when someone less experienced than I asks for a tip or some hunting advice. I log more woods time than most people I know and usually enjoy sharing what I know with someone that is sincerely trying to get better.

The bottom line is that big bucks are rare and it takes a lot of work and effort to bag a free-range whitetail with a bow consistently. Unfortunately, too many guys have their eye on the prize (the big rack, the recognition or money) and not the journey and try shortcuts that shortchange the process. When that attitude is taken, behaviors like buying the new hot scent because you think it will lure the monster to their tree everytime, or that all they need is a new carbon suit and they won't have to take any other scent precautions. Some guys even go further and end up paying for a game-farm canned hunt so they can brag to their buddies they got a big one because they are unwilling to put in their time or effort that it takes to learn and bag a free-range buck. Some of these guys even go further and shoot deer after hours, jacklight them, trespass or poach in other ways. All these guys miss the point: The hard work and fellowship with your camp-mates in putting up stands, planning, learning from all your failures is a reward in itself. That joy you share once a big one is taken..that's just icing--just a release of all that effort coming free in that one moment. If you've done things right, the intrinsic joy a hunter feels is unmeasurable..its a reminder that we as humans can accomplish anything we set our mind to.

Wisco Kid:

Amen Brother!

I am trying to get to the point in my relatively short bow hunting carrer where you are now.

Thanks for putting it so ellaquintley.

The 'Bonker

TLH: Anyway you can get a spell checker? I hate to embarrass myself with my poor spelling.

last year i was the only kid in my class that bow hunted and i talked about it non stop, well now about 5 of the kids in my class hunt because i got them into it and i haven't got one yet so hopfully i will get one then they can get one i just dont want them to get one before me!!!

Last year was the first that I was truly selective about what I put at the buisness end of my shotgun. There's something in the self-control that's as rewarding as pulling the trigger, and I hate shattering the not-quite-silence witha gunshot (maybe bowhunting will help that little problem).

I'm pulling for ya, bowhuntinfool. All I talk about at school is hunting deer, and my friends just seem to think I'm crazy.
wink.gif

Dave Watson, had a good qoute on this subject, I wish I could remember it exactly, It went something like this....
'' When we stop measuring our adventures in the field by the inch.... We will enjoy the hunt even more.''

Deerman, It's called "hornyitus" or "antleritus"! I too worry about the future of hunting especially for the average Joe. Sorry about the long post!

HORNYITUS \hor-ne-i-tas\ n.: A condition most common to adult human males. Can be found to lesser extent, in human females. HORNYITUS is manifested in dreams of large antlers produced by the male member of the ruminant mammal (family) Cervidae, the deer family. Humans with this condition have been known to sit in trees for long hours in torturous environments, suffer hyperventilation, drive inordinate distances, desert family, friends and jobs, perform illegal acts, display a tendency toward frothy eloquence, pay tremendous amounts of money for leases, guides, and licenses. Acute depression is not uncommon. Viewing videos, magazines and websites relating to Trophy Hunting can aggravate this condition.
Even though this condition is highly contagious, some individuals, for reasons unknown, have a natural immunity.
This condition is incurable and generally lasts a lifetime. The main treatment for the condition is a successful harvesting of what is known as Record Book Buck, B & C Buck, P & Y Buck, Monster, MossBack, Wallhanger and trophies known by other worshipful terms. This treatment is temporary, usually lasting only one Season. Additional relief is achieved by some in the purchase of new equipment every year to cure the missed shot or to compensate for the Season ending. Mathews, Hoyt, Remington are some of the names synonymous with temporary relief for many. It is believed that HORNYITUS has been the primary cause for changes in Traditional Hunting throughout the United States. These changes are; establishment and the subsequent increase of hunting lease fees, proliferation of hunting/guiding outfitters, QDM and legitimate/non-legitimate QDM Experts, increasing fees for licenses, especially Non-resident fees, arguments between residents of different states as to whom has the best quality deer, high fence hunting, artificial insemination and selective breeding of wild game, increasing animosity and antagonism between Resident and Non-resident hunters and unfortunately, sometimes disdain for hunters that are not obsessed with large antlers and just want to go huntn.

Don

For me it would have to be the idea of getting away from everyday life. When your in the woods you dont think of your problems with your job, money, girlfriend or wife. Its just you and the deer. The challenge of hunting is what drives me year after year. Anyone can go out and shoot a deer, its only the select few who can go out and wait for the big one. Its putting your patience and mind to the test just for that one moment when all your work finally pays off. I think a little recognition amongst fellow hunters is nice to. I want people to look at me and say that guy really knows what he is doing in the woods. I dont really look up to the guys who shoot one monster buck in their whole life time, even its 200 inches. Thats just luck. Its the guys that can go out year after year and shoot a good buck, 140 inches or better , that I have respect for.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth. I am a fairly new member to this web page and I can't start to imagine life with out it. I think I have spent the last couple of months reading the last year or so posts. I can honestly say I don't think there is a topic or post that I haven't read. I already feel like I have known some of you regulars for years. I think we are all little antler crazy! Trophy means different things to different people. I was fortunate enough to meet many people through out the years that have taken many world class bucks. I remember a few years back I was at a scoring session at Gary Bowens studio and I met Sam Collora. Iwill never forget the way his attitude was about the awesome deer he had harvested with his bow. Im not sure if he is the first person to have said this but I will always give him credit for saying it. Sam said, " I didn't do anything special, something special happened to me." I have never forgotten those words. I still to this day reflect back to the days when I first started hunting. That is how I felt from the basket racks to the mature bucks I choose to persue today. trophy is in the eye of the hunter. My only issue with havesting any of these bucks is that I won't be able to pick up his sheds!
smile.gif

To all of the administrators keep up the good work. I only wish that I had known about this site a long time ago!

Top Bottom