Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler growth for 2018 & what happened in 2017...

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
my area in 2017- I am certain the drought had substantial reductions in growth potential for racks. I am not certain if it was simply the lack of rain providing plant growth & nutrients and/or the high heat causing STRESS to deer. ??? Likely both.
Beans in my area saw many failed fields or because of early rains in 2017 - crops got in very late. This had to also have a little impact on antler growth as beans are a high protein, calcium, etc source for deer- late planted or total failures.

This year so far..... late spring. Which could mean a lack of early food for Deer. Big impact???? I don’t know. What is positive..... many beans are now in the ground with perfect planting conditions. I’d say on average, 25-35% of beans are done and those that are not - they will be next on the list since many folks are ahead of schedule. So- on one hand, late spring, on other hand- early crop plantings or very timely.

I personally think STRESS - whether it’s lack of winter recovery food, high heat, low moisture, super high deer densities, etc - any STRESS will have negative impact to antler growth obviously. Here we sit though.... late spring - low on water supply but I’d still call it “sufficient” as of now. Early crops planted. If we get ample rain - I “think” our antler growth would be good BUT then it comes down to: did this late spring do damage? What do you think?
Not like we can control this..... OR actually we can to some extent..... lots more cool season legumes & tsi to put vegetation & food on ground or supplemental feed which most folks don’t do & not practical or desired.

But - overall - did u guys see a poor growing season in 2017 and what do u think the late spring will do? I sure hope it’s better than 2017. My learning lesson from 2017- I am going to continue to add more clover & a little more alfalfa & make sure I get early planted beans out at a few spots regardless. The added clovers & tsi work are easy ones most people can do- especially frost seeding clovers. What y’all think?? Please GROW in 2018!!!!

Last edited:
I dubbed 2017 as "The year of the shrinking deer" the younger age classes put on inches (obviously they make their biggest jumps in these years, so that is to be expected), but jumps were noticeable reduced. Where I really noticed it was in the older age classes, 4, 5, 6+. Simply didn't put on inches and in many cases, multiple farms, there was regression. I simplified it to a moisture issue, but there is probably a lot more to it like Skip said.

In addition to the clover note above, Rye is great one. I saw TONS of deer in my rye plots thru April this year. They were bright green when everything was brown. That should help bucks, does, and soon to be born fawns.

We got off to a late start this year but don't have a moisture problem yet. That can change in a heartbeat. Everyone remembers the drought last year, but we also had an incredibly wet spring. Lots of stuff got planted late. And then when it finally stopped raining in late May, the hose went dry for 3 straight months. So, we will see what 2018 does. If we get another drought, I don't see us avoiding a big EHD issue again. That's my main worry.

Agree with the above. Last year we were targeting one main buck and he had been bumping up 25+ inches every year. In 2017 he was 5, so he was now "on the list". My son did take him in early November, but he was just marginally bigger than the previous year, about 10" bigger. Our 2017 bean and corn plots failed too, it was, and still is, drier than a bone in our area too. I think the drought held him back from tickling the 200" range.

Also, our rye plots were quite popular this spring too, even more so than normal.

We have 1/2" cracks already. But I'm on poor soil. Will not change much. Couple of small plots will have to be replanted this fall which were ate to the ground. In the timber.

I expect the antler growth in MN to be poor.

Late spring, now lack of rain, combined with not many older bucks made it

I have pretty high hopes for this year. Mainly because I have a better baseline of the herd than I have ever had before. Last year seemed like a poor growth year, but I didn't have a super great history on my main place either.

I was always under the line of thought that in drought years plants will pour more energy into their fruit/seeds. I suppose higher quality food in lesser quantity is not as good as high quantity of food for deer.

I also believe mild winters affect antler growth negativity some years. I remember reading a qdma article (I think it was qdma?) that talked about mild/harsh winters and how bucks that shed later grew less than their counterparts that shed early. Lot of factors and I do agree that stress is the hardest one to manage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I would agree with the posts that 2017 on average was a poor quality antler growth year. I am not real sure of the cause as we had ample rainfall and good plant growth in my area. Skip I am anxious to see how 2018 plays out because there was a post on here about late antler casting effecting antler growth, which all would likely agree we had in 2017. I feel most bucks were more normal time shedding antlers this year due to the cold temps we had last winter. Guess we will see but our food plots brought the deer through the winter in good shape. Barring a drought I think 2018 will be pretty good!

My farms are in North MO and 2 notable bucks both put on good growth in 2017 vs. 2016 but we caught ok rain up until early July when a good percentage of the growing is already complete. Just 5-10 miles north of me in Iowa it was noticeably drier by late July with burnt up bean fields etc. I found the late shedding article interesting as well. I know for sure one of the referenced bucks shed his 2016 rack by Feb 10 or so.

I’m already watching the rainfall this year and not loving it. I planted some Miscanthus and pear trees on April 20th and only 2 rain events so far.

• Deleted by Sligh1
Show…
Top Bottom