Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler Scoring Question

Pupster

Since I'm obviously not an official scorer or claim to be, a friend ask me to measure up a rack for him just to get a ball park figure of what it might score. I also do it to my own deer just to see how closely I can field judge different animals.

My question is: On a typical 8pt do you get the H-4 circ. measurement since there is no G-4?

If so is this circ. measurement taken midway between the G-3 and the tip of the mainbeam?

Pupster

B&C website has an automated score thingy also. you just type in the measurements and hit "enter" and it spits your results back at ya. just search under "boone&crockett" and it'll show ya the site.

Yes when you are in the field and just have to know (like i do)before you get home to the websites.You get 4 circumferences whether it is a 8 or 28 pointer .Yes on an 8 pointer it is measured at the half way point between the tip of the main beam and the last tine.

To find the midpoint for the purpose of measuring the H-4 go down the centerline of the point (G-3) to where it meets the baseline (you should have drawn) of the point. At the intersection of the centerline and the baseline make a mark. From this mark drop down at 90 degrees from your baseline to the center of the beam and make another mark. Measure from the beam tip to this mark take your measurement and divide in half. Take that number and mark it on the center of the beam and then take your H-4 measurement there.

Allamakee Grand Slam

PUPSTER, YOU MAY WANT TO TRY AND PRINT OFF THE POPE & YOUNG OFFICIAL MEASURING SHEET. IT'S A HANDY SHEET WITH SPACES FOR EA. MEASUREMENT AND HOW TO DO DEDUCTIONS IF YOU WANT TO BE EXACT. I THINK THE WEBSITE IS WWW.POPE-YOUNG.ORG OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS. GODD LUCK

Thanks guys. Got it.
Score doesn't really matter that much to me, but whenever I find myself talking deer with other people they'll often ask "How big was he?" Just replying, "Big" doesn't cut it because "Big" to some people is small to others and visa versa. So if I can guess a score in inches, everyone draws the same conclusion and has a pretty good idea how big a particular deer is/was.
Pupster

Pupster, You'll come to realize as I have that when a guy talks about bucks in scoring terms that he or she is more than the occasional deer hunter. These folks are typically hunting larger deer and will hold out for a " good " one. They'll sum up their day by saying something like " I passed up a couple 120's, had a 140 at 10 yards and could not get a shot, saw a 180 out in the C.R.P. on the way out this evening " etc, etc.....I too have found myself talking this way the last couple of years. My neighbor who is twice my age and has been hunting twice as long thought I was always talking about the deers weight when I would throw out these numbers during our conversations. Kind of funny in a way.

Pupster,
Will you email me again. I was "upgrading" and in the process lost my address book
madgo_ron.gif
cussing.gif

Thanks

EIGHTPOINT,
You're exactly right. We come home at night and when we talk that is exactly what the conversation sounds like. My friends and I usually hold out for mature deer 2 of them I've found are very accurate field judges, I've gotten pretty good also if I do say so myself. Although I missed a recent 8pt a friend of mine shot by 10". The mass added up a lot quicker that I had guessed.

Now my brother...he's bad. When he says he saw a "really nice buck" it's around 100". When myself and the other 2 guys say we saw a big buck we're talking 150"+.

Our talk of basket, Bigger than a basket, Nice buck, big buck, huge buck has been replaced with 120,130,140,150" talk. And we all have a good idea of what each other are talking about.

Limb, I sent one out, let me know if you recieved it.
Pupster

PUPSTER, ONCE YOU PRINT OFF THE P & Y SCORE SHEET START MEASURING ANY RACK RECENT OR OLD AND YOU'LL SOON BE GUESSING LIVE DEER IN THE FIELD RIGHT ON THE MONEY. I WAS IN IOWA FOR THE LATE MUZZELOADER SEASON THIS YEAR AND A FEW OF THE GUIDES WERE OUT HUNTING WITH US. WE WERE ALL ON A KIND OF A DO IT YOURSELF THING USING STANDS LEFT UP FROM ARCHERY AND SHOT GUN SEASON. ANYWAY, I THOUGHT I WAS GOOD AT FIGURING SCORES, A GUY WOULD BRING IN A BUCK AND WE WOULD STAND AROUND THE TREE WHERE IT WAS HUNG UP AND ALL GUESS THE RACK SIZE. WELL THESE GUYS WOULD BE 1 TO 2 POINTS OFF OF DEER GOING 130 TO 140 GROSS AND THE RACKS WOULD BE UNEVEN AND SOME WERE BUSTED UP. NOW THATS KNOWING YOUR DEER RACKS.

Top Bottom