Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ANTLER TRAP?

8 point doe

What is antler trap? How does it work? Does anyone own one and if so is it worth getting one? where can you get one?

So when the bucks stick their head in the bucket it knocks the antlers off their head?
Assuming they have some ready to come off.

Is that the jist of it?

The bungee cord is suposed to mess with the antlers and if they are ready to come off they will drop in or around the bucket.

I think these various traps can be harmful to a buck. If the antlers are not ready to drop he could be carring around some thing that could get caught on something and stop his movement.

If you have to "trap" antlers place food in thickets or brush piles.

Better yet, walk alot and look for nateral sheds!

Keystone I really don't think that a bungie chord is going to hurt a deer but you really never know it's not just for collecting sheds it is also a bateing station.

Keystone,
The bungee cords on the antler trap are made so if a deer gets caught they will come off pretty easy, that way they dont get caught and die.

OK let's get to the bottom line. Here is where I am coming from.

1. Seting a trap to collect a shed is just like baiting a deer to kill. I do not agree with either!

2. Shed hunting for me is learning about where the buck lives and travels. Not about pulling him in to a bait trap and traping his antler! Finding nateral shed antlers will help me understand the buck natural movements.

3. I do not like the thought of a buck moving through the timber with a bucket attach to his antlers that could cause him problems.

4 Again, if you need to "bait" and "trap" for sheds, use nateral "snares" that will not harm the buck! Put a little corn in a thicket.

Better yet, get out and walk your deer hunting area and follow the rub lines and look in the bedding and feeding areas. Then plan your next years hunting!

I was reading an article a while back about a Boy Scout troop in Wyoming. They are one of the most profitable troops in the Country and here is how.

They spend weekends shed hunting for elk all over the place! they rack in TENS OF THOUSANDS of bucks with this and it teachs the ruggrats about the outdoors. Pretty cool.

They have buyers beating a path to them for some of their products. I have wondered if a troop in Iowa could be as successful doing something like that. Beats selling make your own pizzas.

BugleMIn, I understood that the reason that the antlers are cut off while they are still in velvet was because the Asian market was the primary buyer in them. I guess they use them for a stimulant or medicine or something like that and the velvet covered antler was the way to go.(Never tried it myself), but that is the info from the Discovery Channel! I also heard that the Boy Scouts auction off the antlers they collect, the larger ones fetch a heftier price. I would guess Whitetail antlers would go the same way.

Yeah the velvet off of the antlers gives you stamina for sports and other things that I won't say. It is really prized by the other countries and can make quite some $ for that too.

I've also heard that the deer farms remove their antlers so the bucks can't kill each other with their antlers. It also makes it safer for the handlers to feed and move them.

Top Bottom