Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antlerless bucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">deer have been living here a long time I find it hard to believe one year they all of a sudden shed their antlers months early.
</div></div>
Not an expert opinion here by any means, just observations. here in the past 5 yrs two of these yrs bucks haven't really started until february, these 2 yrs were warmer than usual, with less snow than normal. The "normal" winter saw mid Jan as a starting point, and late january to be prime. Last winter was the excepion..2 feet of snow by the end of November, lots of -30 weather, I don't think I saw a buck after late Jan with an antler attached. This yr..more in the same as last yr. I haven't had any time to get out and look but I've talked to a few people including a friend yesterday who picked up 9 on Wednesday around his haystacks, including a 175" 9pt set off a buck he missed with the smokepole. Like i said, not expert opinion, but I believe weather conditions that are more extreme than usual will hurry them up. Time to go this weekend i guess. </div></div>

I think this is spot on! I don't keep track really, but from what I remember.....We in MN haven't probably seen this amount of cold temps for this extended amount of time in quite a while. It would only make sense that if it's cold earlier and for an extended period of time, bucks might shed earlier. Couple that cold weather with much snow past a few inches that deer have to dig through to eat and it just adds into the mix. Makes sense I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know we go through this every year, but I wonder if this year isn't a little different due to the cold temps. Been a long time it seems that it's been this cold in November and December.......</div></div>

Seems just two years ago was much worse than this. Record lows in early December and it was the first time in many years that I was hunting deer that were crossing the totally frozen Wapsi river in mid and late December. This year if they cross it, they swim it. It is early and there is no doubt that some have shed but I will still wager that it is nothing more than an ordinary year for shedding.

Top Bottom