Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antlers are a rattling already

arrrgh11

Stayed down at my cabin this weekend and on Sunday morning the wife, dog, and I decided to take a walk around the property. About 30 minutes into the walk my dog starting acting a little goofy, almost nervous or excited. I called her over to me and she just kept pacing along a fenceline. Then I heard it - the sounds of antlers rattling. I could tell they were close, but there were trees and shrubs along the fenceline obstructing my view. I walked about 20 yards down the path to a little clearing in the fence. There they were - 2 decent 8 pt bucks going at it pretty hard about 100 ft away. I sat there and watched them for about 10 min and they lifted their heads, but the rattling didn't stop. I couldn't tell where this was coming from so a walking about 10 yards further down the path to a larger clearing. There I could see the other 2 deer rattling their antlers and behind them were the other 2 bucks sparring again. When they finally lifted their heads I could see it was a decent 9 pt deer and an 8pt deer. After watching for another 15 minutes I could finally see that there were 3 other bucks (still in velvet) standing around watching - 2 small 8 pt and a small one horned deer we call Elliot. Then the deer had enough of the fighting and just walked away.... Hard to believe they were less than 100 ft away and they never busted us, especially since my dog was not being very quite and you could hear her collar rattling the whole time.

This is the first time my wife has seen deer fighting and it was a real rush for her. Later in the walk the dog also chased 6 turkeys up a tree. What a fun morning in the woods!!

I just sat out and damn! There are some nice Bucks! Saw Split, Big Bohi, and OAK, they all shed velvet and man are they going at it.

Sounds exciting. I'm sure you wished you had your camera with you. Seems to happen that way but exciting none the less.

That is exactly what my wife said. I don't usually leave without my camera in tow, but for some reason didn't take it with...

Sounds exciting. I'm sure you wished you had your camera with you. Seems to happen that way but exciting none the less.

Sounds like you had a great time with family in the woods. This weekend was beautiful after the rain moved out. I didn't get a chance to head south because of work.....busy weekend for me. Hopefully in two weeks i'll make another trip down. Hope to catch up with you sometime before the season!

Top Bottom