Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any Hydraulic experts out there?

deeraddict

PMA Member
I bought a used home made log splitter. The cylinder surges when retracting and also sometimes on the out stroke, when not under a load. When under a load it usually moves smoothly, but is slow. Not sure if I may have air in the system or if I am starving the cylinder. Have an 11 horse motor on the splitter, I am not sure of the GPM of the pump and about a 6 gallon resivior. I wonder if it could be the control.
any tips ideas? I zero knowledge about hydraulics.

Thanks,

Low on Hydro fluid possibly? I know when my skid steer gets low on fluid
it surges like you say....Im def no expert tho

I would imagine your pump may be cavatating. Check your suction hoses from your tank to make sure you don't have any leaks. These are somewhat tough to spot and could potentially cause this.

Otherwise, if it is a 2 stage pump, the pressure sensing switch or regulator may not be adjusted properly or may be in need of replacement. A two stage pump basically has two modes, low pressure, high volume for retracting/extending and high pressure, low volume for splitting. Sounds like if you don't have an air leak, this is likely your problem. You may be in need of a new pump, however, they do make a "2 stage lever control" which basically reroutes your fluid to the cylinder instead of going back to the tank and also has a pressure regulator. Maybe your model has one of these?

I would check for air in your cylinder lines. Pull the cylinder in all the way and just slightly crack the line. Make sure you go very slow at this process. You don't want high pressure oil penetrating your skin.
Second this I would check the breather on your hydraulic tank. Make sure you have a breather and then check to see it's clear of any dirt or debri. Most hydraulic systems use atmospheric pressure which is 14.7psi for the pressure for the hydraulic system. If you remove the cap and you hear it hiss or burbp you know the breather is not working.

Thanks all.
The only thing on the tank for a breather is a hole in the cap. Is that sufficient?
I see no leaks of oil any where not sure about sucking air. I did try and purge the air by running the cylinder both all of the way out and all the way in and holding the lever. This caused foaming oil, which I took as air in the system to come out of the hole in the cap.

Shouldn't have air in the system unless it got real low on oil. Could also be a loose line I guess, but I think you'd notice that rather quickly. Your valve is probably fine. Is there a filter on the system? I'd be cleaning it out first if there is.

Top Bottom