Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any ice reports from SE Iowa yet?

iowabucks

The only good thing about these cold temps is that ice fishing is just around the corner. We did get about 7 or 8 inches of snow here in Muscatine the last couple days. Maybe not as bad as the rest of the state.

I'm in the mood to do some hard water fishing this weekend and was wondering if anyone in this area has drilled a few holes yet? Will it be safe by the weekend?

Can't speak for SE Iowa, but here in the NW corner, only small bodies of water have fishable ice right now, and even some of that is iffy. I'm sure we're adding depth now daily, but this insulating layer of snow was about the worst thing that could've happened.

My son and I are hunting 2nd shotgun this weekend, but will likely drill our first holes the following weekend on a local farm pond. Be careful out there...

NWBuck

I do not have any reports for SE iowa, however today in Mason city I saw a group of guys ice fishing on what I would say is maybe a 3-5 acre pond. I am not sure what the thickness was but I have been told clear lake is anywhere from 1-5 inches thick in areas.

Theres a layer of ice over the local ponds around here but still too early to drill holes. Do any of you guys know much about Clear Lake? I have a buddy up there who owns a cabin on the lake. He doesnt Ice fish. Im thinking about making a trip up there in a few weeks. What kinda tackle should I bring?

Our ponds are froze over here in SE Iowa but it was above freezing yesterday and today. I wouldn't trust the ice yet, but that's just me.

I think i will just wait until next weekend. From Tuesday on, it's going to be real cold. Should be good by the weekend.

Hey Iowabucks, I have a buddy who has a pond just outside of Wilton, and his dad said a guy went to check the ice thickness about 2 or 3 days ago and fell in to his knees at the edge of the pond because the ground around the edges isn't cold enough yet... apparently he kept going though and had 3 or 4 inches in the middle of the pond.... I'm surprised he kept walking out there after falling in on the edge.

I have read a few saying the edges are still thin. My son has been fishing at the slough by Kent Stein since last weekend. Said there was 4 to 6 inches then. Surprised he hasn't been kicked out of there yet. Don't think the city would like seeing that. Got some crappies too.
So far i have decided to wait. Last two days were kinda warm, but it's going to get cold again. So maybe later in the week i will give it a try.

I swung by West Lake park on Sunday and there was about 3" of good solid ice, but i only went out about 30 yards. Didnt even get a bite...

Iowabucks, what areas do you ice fish? I am up in Davenport and dont know of many places in the area.

Top Bottom