Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ANY ISSUES WITH THIS !!

moosehunter

PMA Member
I hung a couple stands the other day in what I think may be a dandy spot. Others may think it is stupid. Here's a description.

A narrow, 40 yard wide draw that sticks out into a bean field. the draw points to the west and is about 80 yards long. The deer have been entering the field on both the north and south sides of the draw. So I hung stands on both sides also. So far OK. Here's the part that throws a kink in it. There's a house maybe 70 or 80 yards from both stands. My thinking is the deer that are using these trails are familiar with human activity around that area so they aren't quite as cautious as normal.

The deer have been using these trails hard so I don't think they are overly concerned with the house that close. Do you think it's a gamble

I've learned that "clear back in" isn't always best. On the other hand, they maybe using the field and finger in the cover of darkness. Do you have a trail timer or camera? I would guess it would depend on how good of view the house has of the feeding area.

I shot my biggest buck to date only 100yrds from a house. What i found out is that the bucks seem to travle those routs first thing in the morning. Not much action in the evenings.

My best stand is less than 100 yards away from my house, and only 40 yards away from my practice backstop. It's not uncommon at all for deer who are used to seeing people to come in really close and not be bothered. Not to say that they don't watch you closely, but they're not spooked nearly as easily as some other deer.
CRITR

I also shot my two biggest bow killed deer in a spot much like you described. As far as distance from buildings... for kicks and to pass the time sitting in the stand, I ranged the farmers machine shed from my stand at about 183 yards. I ranged my truck, parked across the road near another one his buildings, at about 202 yards. ( BTW - The night I shot my biggest buck, I first saw him about 50 yards behind the machine shed I referenced above and decoyed him over to me away from the machine shed. )

Side note - I purpose to park, whenever possible, near a building site or a place that the deer will be used to hearing vehicles and such. Think of how far away a deer can hear the crunch of gravel and the sounds of brakes squealing, etc. If the vehicle slows down and parks in a remote or unusual spot I think certain older, more experienced deer begin to pay more attention from that point forward.

At any rate, this sounds like a spot that can definitely work. It also sounds like a potential good decoy spot. Some folks think they aren't hunting unless they get out of their truck and walk a mile or more. To me, the less intrusive you are, the better. Good luck!

I guess the only issue is not hunting it too much...just play the wind right, get in a good tree and hunt it like you are hunting a big buck in the deep woods.

One of my better stands when I lived in Missouri was about 40 yards from a ladys barn and I had all kinds of buck action close by. It is usually the overlooked spots like this that hold the big bucks.

On two of the properties I hunt the stands are very close(80-120yds) away from dwellings.one owner has taken some pretty good deer from the stand on his and everynight he sees anywhere from 10-30+ deer a night(does and bucks)Theother is where I took my first deer.It is bordering a decent sized field and there is another tree line on the other side and then the house.
Evernight on that field,when the corn isn't standing you seee numerous bucks and does.A friend of mine whom I took down there said that he couldn't believe the amount of deer we saw in that field so close to a house.
It may not be as big a kink as you think.
grin.gif

here's an arial of the spot to give a little better idea of what I'm talking about. Stand 1 I would hunt with an east or south wind. Stand 2 a north or east wind. Stands 3 and 4 I think are gonna be real good too. I think I will put one more in east of 3 at the end of the little field.

740stands1.jpg

Depending on what time of day you hunt and how much time those that live there spend outdoors they look like they would be great.That is the same kind of situation that I have and i hit it most during the middle aftrnoon on.
Looks like you should havegreat luck.Good luck and hope o see some reports in the harvest report.

If your not sure, show me where there at and I'll let you know.
grin.gif
By the look of the map I'd think that you would be fine.

I've got a stand within 100 yards of my house and I have 2 labs that roam my property freely. I've seen alot of deer from that stand and some good bucks, my brother saw a whopper there but it didn't offer him a shot. We know how adaptable whitetails are and I really don't believe a house nearby will bother them in the least, obviously they're used to it. That doesn't mean they're ignorant toward human habitation but I'd say if the sign is there, it's worth a shot.

This has turned into a really interesting post as far as how many people actually have stands close to humans and or dwellings.I too have a stand behind a guys house about 150 yards but the only time I saw any deer activity was first light in the morning.......

One spot for me is both morning and middle to late afternoon and the other is late afternoon.Goto one in the morning and then the other in the middle part of the afternoon on.

I agree that big bucks do skirt building sites. Last year I killed a 158 where I could see the roof of a house less than 100 yards down a hill. A larger buck was ducking his head to walk under the coax wire of a tv antenna about 75 yards from another house. (I found him headless near a paved road a day after patterning him.)

#Three and Four look like the may turn into rut travel lanes.

I'm wondering if the deer will be using the field Oct 1.
Won't the beans done? Acorns in the timber seem a better food source then.
Doe stand or a big buck hopeful?
In the early season we see some south wind but later it's mostly from the West or West/Northwest. That would seem to limit #1-2 to early season.

I already replied to this thread the other day, but with what I saw today I will add another post.

I pulled into my hunting spot today at about 1:00P to refresh my Vita-Rack sites and set a trail camera, etc. Granted, the building site is abandoned, but there are two big old barns there and I have seen deer in and around them more than once, especially last winter when it was really cold. There is a pile of old hay inside too. Well today I drive up to them and a buck comes dashing out right in front of my truck. He was about a 120" 8 pointer, cool!
ooo.gif

But it gets better... seconds later here comes another one, only bigger!
smile.gif
He was about a 150" 10 or 11 pointer, real tall tines for G2's and G3's, not terribly massive though, but a definite shooter!

So, will deer avoid buildings? Not in my opinion unless they are threatened or spooked by the occupants or pets, etc.

I definitely agree with you Daver.I have seen some really nice bucks in yards and not to far from the house.They definitely know their territories and they notice changes and if they feel uneasy they get out in a hurry.
I have seen them more,nearer occupied dwellings than unoccupied ones round here.Alot of folks feed them but when they get into there gardens then their popularity goes down.a couple of land owners whom's property I hunt feed them because of their families(children)but when season comes round they are out there just like me.You are right though it depends on their surroundings.

Top Bottom