Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any luck with doe decoys??

Ried#3

I have never used a decoy but think i need one. In my spot i get doe activity within 60 yards of me but can not get them to cross a barbed wire fence to come to my stand. They will mill around and then go another direction. I was thinking a doe decoy might make them feel more comfortable. Any thoughts?

Are you able to move the barbed wire at all to make a crossing point for them? I would think if you made it easy for them to cross, they would..

Hard to draw a doe in with a decoy.

So I gotta say the exact opposite...When I put a decoy in one of my food plots the does are usually the first out and come running up to it to see whos already out there and eating.

Seemed like lately the buck decoy was making the does nervous so I took the horns off and the does were feeding all around decoy. I wanted a crowd of does for the buck. Also seemed like the bucks did not care about the buck decoy they were looking for love and just kept on walking.

I have had a lot of luck setting up in ditches. Spot the buck and throw out the decoy. They come in on a string.

My experience with the doe decoy is it makes the does nervous after a short while but some of them also get curious about the doe that won't move a muscle when they stomp. It has gotten a few of them in trouble.

doe decoy

The second biggest buck that I have shot with a bow was while using a doe decoy on Nov. 7th several years back. The buck was so focused on the decoy, easy to draw took my time, great hunt!

I would recommend them!

I would try it once and see what happens. Some of my worst hunts have been over a decoy and some of my funnest most enjoyable hunts have been as well it really is a 50/50 roll of the dice. Some does hate them some does are curious others could care less and tomorrow that mood could change. Same with bucks if what you are doing isn't working try something different. My decoy has made it as close as 100 yards to hunting spots in the last few years to end up stuck in the weeds because I chickened out and feared an adverse reaction. I felt I was better with no reaction than an adverse in my scenario. Make sure it is in a spot the deer can see them from a ways away not in a spot that will surprise them if you do give it a try.

Thanks for the replies. I am not able to get any closer as there is no place to set up and the ground on the other side I do not have permission to be there. Those does not hopping the fence cost me the biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof. I'll give it a try........THANKS.

I personally have used both types of decoys (buck and doe). I have had mixed results with the buck but the same exact results with the doe. With the buck I either had deer come and investigate it, or bring up their tail and run the other direction. As for the doe, I've had other does come up to my doe decoy aka Beverly and they would stay near her feeding all night and even took a while to spook off as I would get out of stand. I've also had three bucks now throughout my years of hunting with the doe, actually get up and mount it (never ended well as the decoy normally flipped over on them :grin:). So as far as my opinion goes, I say give it a shot and see for yourself if you like them or not. They can be an awesome advantage or an incredible disadvantage depending on how the deer react. The most solid note though with the use of decoys is...make sure to spray the decoy down witih scent killer. Hope this helps

I don't think you'll have much for good results with a doe decoy. Does are way too inquisitive and will usually blow a decoy up. If its a buck decoy they are more inclined to ignore it, but if its a doe decoy I think they will try to figure it out which will most likely result in her blowing her slutty little nose off..... :grin:

I say find a hot funnel on a rocking food source and you'll get a doe killed.
:way:

Top Bottom