Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any real need for a 30+ pin?

Handcannon

I started shooting that bow I bought last spring because I now have the arrows I plan to use. I bought some carbon & shoot 100 grs. I shoot up to 20 yds w/ the 1st pin, 25 & 30 w/ the 2nd pin. I'm having fun getting back into bowhunting, it's all coming back to me. This bow is 65# w/ a single cam & far faster than the last bow I had, also shoots much flatter. I'm comfortable up to 30 yds. What do I do w/ the 3rd pin? How many of you shoot beyond 30 yds? What are the odds of just injuring a deer at 30+? I see some TV pros w/ 50 yd pins. But really...
crazy.gif

i shoot my bow out to 90 yards.... its all about practice and just because i can shoot that far doesnt mean i will take a shot at an animal at that distance.... the most ill go is 50 maybe 55 depending on conditions but like i said it comes down to practice and whatever you feel comfortable with....

Like Shack said, go as far as you are comfortable. Shack actually got me started at the longer distances and shooting at 60 yrds plus has made it a whole lot easier at the average ranges you see/shoot deer in Iowa. Around 20 yrds. That kill zone looks HUGE!

I have always used a 20,30,40 yrd pin but rarely use the last 2, but you sure would like to have them if you needed them.

If you never plan on shooting past 30 yards I would for sure set you hunting rig with one pin, making it dead on at 24-25yards.

[ QUOTE ]
If you never plan on shooting past 30 yards I would for sure set you hunting rig with one pin, making it dead on at 24-25yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

I agree with the one pin idea. I use an adjustable sight that can shoot out to 80yards but leave it right around twenty yards or the distance that I expect the deer to be when shooting. If I need to take a shot farther out theres usually time to move the pin. I switched to this setup due to the fact that when its time to shoot with the adreniline and everthing else I never took the time to figure out if the deer was at 25yards that I needed to hold my 20yard pin high or my 30 yard pin low, and usually just put the top pin on and let her go. Keep it simple and do what you feel comfortable with.

Most shots for a whitetail are going to be taken at 20 yds or less. Clear shooting with no twigs in the timber is usually limited to that distance. A relaxed deer in a meadow looking away or grazing is the only ethical shot on a deer past 40 yds IMO, as they can easily duck an arrow. The guys with the 40 yd pins and beyond are usually good at these ranges for antelope, mule deer, and elk hunting where a 40 plus yd shot is the norm.

3rd pin = 40ish.

I have shot 3pin setups and 1pin adjustables. 20, 30, 40. The adjustable I have now has movable markers on it to show where my distances are. I have a 20, 30, 40 and when the site is maxed out I know its 55yards.

If Im going to shoot a deer, I know before I go into the woods, I usually pick a stand that my shot is going to be under 20 yards. Other than that I hunt for a big rack. I am proficient out to 40 yards but would much rather shoot under 20. I think most people are like this aswell.

I would set the 3rd pin for a 40yarder and start practicing. It will never hurt to be able to shoot good at a 40yards although you may never need it. When I practice now my I usually shoot 3/4 of mine from 40 yards becuase that is where I need the most practice.

Dean

Thanks for the input guys. I'll get some broadheads & go from there - depending on how they fly.

I have only shot one deer with the bow out past 30 yds, he was at 33 yds. I feel comfortable out to 40 but the deer would have to be in a large clearing and/or field for me to fling one. Like others have stated, practice at 40 and then when you step up to 20 the vitals will look huge and you will improve your shooting greatly.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel comfortable out to 40 but the deer would have to be in a large clearing and/or field for me to fling one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This exactly what really gets me, I dont use a range finder and really have trouble when deer get over 30yards making an accurate assumption on distance. I have shot at a few deer I was postive they were 30 and they were 45 and shot a few that I knew were at 40 and they were at 30. All in openings/fields. Now in the woods, I am a way better judge of distance. Or at least things seem more in perspective.

Although those first few bounds/steps really give away the shot location/damage.

Dean

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I've used a single pin at 25 yards for several years with 0 regrets. No mistaking which pin to use.
grin.gif

I have my 3rd pin set at 45 yds... I practice with that a lot for that "just in case" moment! and it has paid off!! Let me tell ya!

I guess it would depend on where you plan to hunt. I rarely hunt where 30+ yard shots are an option. Plus, over 30 yards for some reason always looks like a mile to me when I'm 18' off the ground. The vitals seems mighty small that far off. But at 20 yards, they seem pretty big. I have one pin that will shoot dead on from 10-25 yards. I figure this will cover 99% of all my needs. Of course, we don't have monsters running around like you guys do, so maybe if I lived in Iowa, I would practice a little more at longer ranges? ha

If your comfortable at 30 yards then you know what it feels like to move into 10 yards....nothing but net. That's the same reason I practice out to 60 yards and occasionally 70. Everything at those distances come into play and once you've got them down solid the rest is a non issue. I've also shot deer out to 43 yards and it was a very quick recovery. The shots you take with a bow are only what YOU are confortable with. No one elses opinion really matters as you have to deal with the aftermath both good and bad.

i have three pins....
first pin is good to 25, then i have a 35, and a 45 yard pin. that is where it is set. i killed a pronghorn at 50 yards, but i had to shoot my 45 yard pin a little high. but i have never killed a deer further than 30.
i also shoot a lot of 3-D so having a 45 + is essential to competing....
plus it is fun to practice that far....
its still amazes me how far you can accurately shoot with practice!!
good luck

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it would depend on where you plan to hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly right. If you hunt in the plains at all you'd better be prepared to shoot a ways. I was actually more comfortable last year shooting at forty yards at the buck I harvested than the six yards from my stand he was at first. When there aren't many trees around the deer have a tendency look up??? I've been busted ten times as often in western Kansas than eastern. For me, keep that deer out there twenty-five to forty-five yards and I'm much more comfortable. It's all about practice and a good release.

BTW, my brother-in-law harvested a buck more than a decade ago at seventy-two yards with a Proline Speedstick. It was his second year of bowhunting -- he said he'd never take a shot like that these days, even though he shoots a much more advanced bow. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there to step off the yards myself. He's always made me sick with his shooting ability.
smirk.gif

Top Bottom