Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone running homebrew IR's?

Stump Shooter

This may have already been discussed, but I didn't find anything after a short search.

I'd like to see if any of you guys are running any homebrew IR's? What they took to build and how much you might have stuck into them? I have a P41 sitting at home collecting dust and want to do something with it. I'm already running a P41 and P32 with a pix controller and a P32 with a Bigfoot board. Looking into the IR field now. ha, ha

Thanks!!

I am currently running 3 of them right now.

They seem to take good pics when the deer are close. If the deer are a little further out you can photoshop them up and lighten them then they end up pretty good.

They are not that hard to build. You just have to take apart a few more ribbons and fit the new glass in there and that's it.

I used the trailsend mod on their website as well as their stuff for an IR.

The p32's cost me about $200 a piece for an IR build. I don't run a slave flash either though.
A slave would help but Vman says they suck to work with.

One thing I have noticed though as far as getting mature bucks is you'll get one or two pics of them w/ the IR which is usually about the same as what I got w/ a white flash.

So if it's a huge trouble to build an IR for you I would just build a regular white flash one. My results have'nt been much different but then someone else might though.

If you do build an IR camera just remember to set them up so they are facing towards some trees or tall bush's. The reason is w/ the IR flash the light needs something to bounce off of to make the pic better. At least that's what I noticed when I get good pics.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do build an IR camera just remember to set them up so they are facing towards some trees or tall bush's. The reason is w/ the IR flash the light needs something to bounce off of to make the pic better. At least that's what I noticed when I get good pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

May be a dumb question, but would the same hold true with all IR cameras? I am picking up my new Cudde IR camera this weekend and have never had and IR camera. If that is the case, that goes against what I would do in setting up flash cameras because the flash gets absorbed by trees, branches, etc. Thanks for the info!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

May be a dumb question, but would the same hold true with all IR cameras? I am picking up my new Cudde IR camera this weekend and have never had and IR camera. If that is the case, that goes against what I would do in setting up flash cameras because the flash gets absorbed by trees, branches, etc. Thanks for the info!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think it would be the same for all IR cams. But it really depends on the flash range of the camera w/ the IR glass. On my homebrews the IR glass really knocked down my flash range at night and I would have to lighten the pics up alot to see them better.

I just know when I set mine up on field edges w/ nothing for the light to bounce off of the night pics come out w/ a small flash range. Then when you photoshop them they tend to be a little harder to define what is there. But if there was something the light could bounce off of at like 30-40 ft I would think it would work out fine. But this only tends to be a problem on night pics.
This is why alot of homebrew guys put slave flash's on their setups so they get that extra flash range at night w/ the IR flash but apparently they tend to be hard to work w/.

Top Bottom