Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Are the big guys roaming?

C

Chadwick

Just curious what hunters are seeing over this past week. Last week I believe most of the 'Muy Grandes' were paired up with estrous does and that's why the activity had declined somewhat from the previous week. Young bucks still acting like young bucks is what we observed. I'm hoping that the big bucks will start moving again this weekend as most of the does have been bred and they search for stragglers. Any thoughts?

i'm hoping for the same thing iv'e been seeing some buck activity from 7 till 11 but mostly smaller bucks nothing moving late afternoon going to try again this weekend good luck

Hello,

I believe the biggest wave of MATURE does have been bred. I believe most these does came into cycle around the start of the full moon period. However, there are still plenty of mature does that have not yet been bred, I feel.

Research indicates that, very often, 1.5 year old does come into heat an average of 1 week later than the mature does (while young-of-the-year doe fawns typically come into cycle approximately 28 days after mature does, if they come into cycle at all their first season).

I believe we are at the tail end of the mature doe breeding cycle and are entering the period when many of the 1.5 year old does are starting. (And there are a lot of 1.5 year old does out there!).

I believe it is a safe assumption to conclude that mature bucks will be lingering around doe family groups through the early portion of next week, when most of the November cycle does have finally gone through cycle (the mature does and the 1.5 year olds). It is after most of the does have gone through cycle that you will begin to see consistent, widespread, big buck movement. Right now, most of the big ones are holed up in the doe areas, while some of the 2.5 year old bucks are snatching up unclaimed does-in-heat and the baskets are still doing some place-to-place roaming, hoping they can find a ready doe without a buck around to kick his behind.

This is my take on the situation anyway. I'm expecting -- hoping for with finger's crossed -- good big buck movment the last several days of this month all the way up until the start of the big Iowa slugfest. Right now, it is slow and tough, unless you manage to sneak into a hot doe zone or are lucky enough to catch a big buck between does.

Good Hunting...Raven

I took a 10 point 135 class buck on Wednesday morning that was alone roaming through the doe beddings areas. He made a big half circle around me and followed my scent drag trail to my stand.

Shackman,
I'm hunting around the homestead this weekend. Too many trips to Southern Iowa have worn me out. That and I don't like the possibility of another hunter rattling deer away from me. I will be hunting in S. Iowa the weekend after Thanksgiving. My wife saw a tremendous buck last night crossing our yard heading for a Tree Farm across the road. I wish she wouldn't have told me that...now I have to hunt this weekend. Go Michigan!!

Spent Tuesday afternoon out chasing turkeys west of Luther along DM river. Saw lots of scrapes and tracks but not a single deer, buck or doe.

Imagine the full moon and warmer temps may have played a part too, but bet they'll be back after the young does here shortly.

Did bag a turk though so Happy Thanksgiving!

Friday afternoon hunt I saw two 90 -100 class 8's chasing two different does. I also saw a 150 class walking by himself across an open beanfield. He was trolling. No response to my grunt, not even a look. Damn does in the field heard me and came to see what was up. She busted me and stood there wheezing for 10 minutes. She'll die next time she pulls that stunt.

Then on the way home I saw another 150 class chasing a doe and yearling across the highway in front of me. This was a few miles from my hunt area.

While out turkey hunting Thursday I saw a absolute monster, trotting through the woods alone. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen. He'd have easily gone 175+. Even with the wind howling, he was on the move. Time was 4:00.

TB

Chadwick, You said something about another hunter trying to rattle a deer you were rattling, I have had that happen to me but the guy I was with did not know much, it was his first time out. Have you ever tried trolling for whitetail?

Top Bottom