Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

are there any custom bow makers in central ia willing to help

onefireman

I am looking for a traditional bow, but don't know what questions to ask. My buddy that I elk hunt just had a bamboo bow made and it is sweet!!! I currently shoot a wheelie but love the thought of simplicity. I would like to try some different styles, but stores don't really carry them. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

The best way is to get your hands on some various bows and try them. Probably the best way I could think of would be checking out Bearfoot Traditions in Des Moines. A trad shop that has a number of new and used bows on hand to try out, only open in the evenings.

Here's a couple Iowa bowyers who make nice bows (to order) and could help you out also. Brian's Talltines are a darn good looking recurve.

Jason Kendall makes a great longbow.

http://www.talltinesarchery.com/

http://www.jkbows.com/

Last edited:
Yeah, Tom over at Barefoot has a ton of bows and will string up as many as you want to shoot. Also I'd second the JK Traditions bow recommendation since I own a Kanati and love it. Reflex/deflex with short overall length.

The irony

I just got back from smacking a 140 class buck with the fletching of my arrow. 10yard slam dunk shot..... Oh forgot to notice that the little string that pulls my 'awesome' fall away arrow rest had slipped up the cable so my arrow didn't lift off of the rest. I guess that happens only when bucks come crashing in after being grunted at. You can shoot your bow ten thousand times with no problems at all.... you draw once at a big buck 'shazam'

I just got back from smacking a 140 class buck with the fletching of my arrow. 10yard slam dunk shot..... Oh forgot to notice that the little string that pulls my 'awesome' fall away arrow rest had slipped up the cable so my arrow didn't lift off of the rest. I guess that happens only when bucks come crashing in after being grunted at. You can shoot your bow ten thousand times with no problems at all.... you draw once at a big buck 'shazam'

Although I just talked to you about this on the phone.. that still sucks man!! Murphy's Law gets the best of all of us.

Top Bottom