Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

are you kidding me?

doublerack

Maybe I have completely missed something, but I just saw on the news that the legislature just passed a bill doing away with hunters safety for anyone over 18. You have to be kidding me! Who thinks up this crap? I hope the governer doesn't sign this.

Seriously? It shouldn't matter, you should still have to do it.

EDIT: If this is true, injuries might jump this year.

The way it is written a person will still have to take hunter safety, the change is that if they are over 18 they can take the course 100% online. Also allows active military to hunt without hunter safety.

I am surprised after all these years of hunting without the hunter safety course that I haven't injured myself or others. Really...the mother of all oxymoron's is to take hunter's safety so you can party hunt with a group of 20 in Iowa. JMO

About two years ago I went through a hunter safety course with my sons. I did it because even though I'm "grandfathered" in for Iowa, other states might require hunter safety training. Even if not required, I thought it would make my app look better if there was a spot to put my # in.

For me, there were no revelations in course. My boys had been taught fairly well prior to the course. What unsettles me the most is the lack of GOOD programs for those without mentors. A coworker and her husband are looking for a course. I was going to encourage them to take the DNR hunter safety course, but that is looking like a bygone option. Concealed carry classes are a joke, IMO.

Neither of them have any experience with guns, they are over 18. There are a couple of gun shops around that I might be able to refer them to, but odds are I will try to have them over for a comprehensive course in firearms.

So, let me get this straight... From here on out - no hunter safety is needed, except online, for 18 & older? Is there a link to this?

I'm on fence with this change - I see both sides... Like military need, less gov intrusion/requirements, possibly big advancements so online would be "good enough" but I see other side with safety. BUT- to be honest, I've seen a lot of folks during gun season, with the prior hunter safety taken - do lots of stupid stuff. Heck, maybe the jack-a*! that shot into my tree while I was deer hunting will read this. Ya YOU- the dude gun hunting for deer who got bored waiting on pushers, didn't see my waves, screams & whistle and had to take out a running squirrel with slug gun. That story and many others like the group who put slugs whizzing past my head while they did their drive while I was in my treestand. Crazy dudes, hunter safety or not. I see both sides though.

Top Bottom