Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Are you seeing many rubs or scrapes ?

CamoMan

I haven't seen many rubs in the areas I have visited so far, but I have found some nice scrapes that appear to have been kept fresh. I'm sure there are also rubs in the area, but they aren't in the places I expected them to be. The picture below was taken by a co-worker's trail cam. This buck has been shredding the trees in the area. He's a dandy, and if you look at the tree that the buck is looking at, you'll see that he has worked it over pretty good. This photo was taken about a week ago. Look at the neck on that guy. . . didn't think he would bulk up like that til later.

PS000002-2.bmp

Camoman,

Very nice buck!...... awesome photo!.... thanks for sharing it with us......

very nice pic camo man. i too haven't seen any rubs yet. i thought for sure i'd be seeing them by now. i'm sure we'll be seeing them shortly when the bucks become more territorial during the pre-rut.

On opening afternoon while going to my stand there were 2 very nice rubs within 10 feet of each other. The trees were in the 5-7" range but with all of the moisture around you could see them a mile away. I did not see any bucks that day but am optimistic one will show this weekend.

Nice pic! The fenceline I have my Camtrakker on had a couple of fresh scrapes about one week into September. I was last out there about a week ago and there were 6 or 7 scrapes, all being freshened. I haven't seen any rubs yet, but then I haven't been inside the cover, sticking to the edges while checking my camera.

TB

I have seen a few good rubs while being out and about. I also found a 19" spread 9 pointer dead. I do not know if he had been hit by a car, but I couldn't find any marks on him and he wasn't near any water.

Have also seen a few territory scrapes, have had my trail camera hanging over one all week. I am going to try and get out to check it tomorrow after I get back from watching Iowa beat Purdue.

That is a great buck, thanks for the picture.

T.D.

Watched a nice 8 point tear up a small sapling about 12 yards from me this morning. When I got out, I backtracked him and found an excellent rub line on the trail he came from. Also several small scrapes starting to show up as well. I think I'm going to end up wishing I'd shot this one
grin.gif

Found the first fresh rubs of the year last weekend while a buddy and I were sneeking around the woodlots. Hopefully I will see one of the creators of those rubs when I am out with the muzzleloader next weekend.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Enjoyed the story about taking your son hunting. I can't wait till mine are old enough. How old was your son when he started to shoot a bow? Great pictures on your deer cam. What brand do you have? I have been seeing quite a bit of rub activity but no scrapes.

Bckhntr, my deer camera is a Vman special. I don't have much to compare it to, but I think it would stack it up nicely against the top end models in the catalogs. Contact Vman if you are interested in one, he's a great guy. I may add a digital after the first of the year. More expensive, but no film and little or no developing costs. I put a camera in an area yesterday that has about 30-40 rubs visible in a concentrated area. I stopped in there this afternoon to hang a stand, and saw that there were already 8 photos taken. I hung the camera a bit higher this time . . . hopefully no more raccoons.
You asked about my son - he started shooting a very inexpensive bow when he was 9, and last year we got him the Hoyt Banshee bow. I told him that when he could shoot 40 pounds and be accurate at 15-20 yards, then I would let him hunt. Talk about motivation - he is shooting very well, and wants to keep getting better. I love having Taylor as my hunting buddy.

Camo man,
Nice pic BTW. I have yet to find a scrape or a rub.. Same thing happened last year. I did not see the first one until around the 20th of Oct last year. Anybody else see this in the SE part of the state?

Top Bottom