Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arizona Elk Tag!

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
The results were made available by phone for the AZ lottery draw for elk and pronghorn yesterday. Eager to get the results, I was able to call in and check to see whether it was me or my daughter, Sydney, that got the tag (one credit card hit back on March 20). Leading up to yesterday, I was certain that it was Sydney who had the tag and not me and we were planning accordingly. I'm just not that lucky to get an archery elk tag 3 years after my first one and, to be honest, I really wanted her to have a second chance right away. She told me recently that she hopes I do get drawn, but she hopes she gets drawn even more.

The results were clear. I got the same archery bull hunt I had three years ago (my chance at redemption). I have never been so not excited to get a tag as I was yesterday, knowing I had to tell Syd that she didn't get to hunt. I genuinely had a sick feeling in my stomach. I truly wanted to be excited for my tag, but I couldn't because of what I was anticipating. As we were driving home, I broke the news and I was getting choked up telling her because it hurt me that bad as a dad. She took it well, saying "Its ok. I have 80 more years of elk hunting ahead of me and I really want you to get your bull." I had to stop and look at her and remind myself that she's "only" 10 years old. We held hands for quite a while and she promised to help me practice with my bow by shooting her bow just as often. She knows she gets to go with me for part of the hunt and she said she wants to learn to cow call so she can hang back and help call a bull in for me. She was truly happy and excited for me and made me promise that I would be ok and get excited for my chance at redemption. She now understands the lottery system for big game hunting in Arizona and knows that she may not get to hunt everything every year.

And then she called me a wuss because I was choked up because I had to tell her she didn't get drawn. I owned it and told her she'd understand someday. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I'm truly blessed beyond words.

I'm much more excited today than yesterday, but I'm still processing that she doesn't get to hunt elk again. But she did start talking about putting in for deer and hoping she gets the buck tag we've been talking about. After turkey season, I'm hoping to get a camera or two out there and at that point, I'll decide if I want to keep another journal. What is everyone else's opinion? Another Arizona elk journal, or let it ride and concentrate on the hunt?

As I type this out, I realize that I'm not even sure why I'm sharing this whole post other than I wonder if I'm the only dad out there that feels horrible that he got drawn for a coveted archery bull elk tag and his daughter didn't get drawn. I honestly wanted it more for her than for me. :confused:

I will say that I'd love another elk journal. It is also a great way for you to record your memories as they happen and you always have your posts to reflect on. You sir have raised your kids correctly and enjoy your's and Syd's stories.

Please do write another AZ elk log this year, that was a great thread. Perhaps you can also involve your daughter in chronicling the hunt on your thread and she can get some sort of extra credit at school for doing so?.?.

It sounds like you will have a great time together either way, but maybe she could get a different experience and some credit too.

And such is hunting in AZ. Hard to believe as a resident you have to wait forever for a tag. My friend out there is going to move when he retires to be able to hunt something every year. Congrats on the tag.

Congrats on the tag first and foremost
I would really like another journal because it's almost like we are on the hunt with you but I know it takes a lot of effort from previous journals. You have raised your kids the right way for sure. I hope Syd calls in a monarch for you.

Congrats on the tag and all the family time you get to share in the process!!!

Can she ride shotgun so to speak with your hunt so she has more experience for her own hunt that is soon to follow??

Congrats on the tag, & even more so on the fine daughter! So many youngsters just don't have their heads on straight these days, and it sounds like Syd does. What a blessing!

Can she ride shotgun so to speak with your hunt so she has more experience for her own hunt that is soon to follow??

Thanks everyone, especially for the compliments on Syd!

Yes, Phil, she'll be right beside me for at least opening weekend. I can't let her miss too much school for one of my hunts when she'll have her own hunts to miss school for! And she's practicing with a cow call to make sure she can help!

And at the encouragement of others, I have started another journal. I'll be heading out this weekend to pull my camera card after sitting on a wallow for three weeks.

Top Bottom