Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ATV Sprayer

MO-APE

Looking for a 20-25 gallon rack mounted ATV sprayer, I've seen various posts on here but wanted some updates on your experiences.

I've seen many posts talking about problems with Fimco units, has anyone tried Northstar or the Moultrie units?

We have a two Bomgaars and two Fimco 25 gallon tanks. I threw these booms together and attached them to the pumps on the tanks (the tanks came with 30ft boomless sprayers... which were crap in my opinion but they may serve a purpose for someone... maybe).

100_0892-1.jpg

If you want more details on the actual boom part of the sprayer you can find them at this link

Home made sprayer boom

Pretty sure I have a Northstar. Got it from Northern Tool. 25 gallon tank and booms. I put a hose "Y" at the pump so I can leave the hand sprayer and booms both attached. Booms work well. Original hand sprayer was junk. Lasted a year or so. Up graded the wand about 4-5 years ago and it is leaking now too. Only issue is you can't control pressure with the one I bought. I ran it off the power outlet in the Rhino for a couple of years then used a power pack jump starter with a power outlet on it. Put a switch in line that turns the pump off when I'm using the booms so I shut it off when I come to the end of a row. The Jump pack lets me turn the Rhino off when I'm spot spraying. The Rhino would over heat and vapor lock when it idled too long. I think that problem was fix a year or two after I bought my Rhino.

Anyway, I've beaten the crap outta my Northstar and it still does a good job. Forgot one year to drain the booms and pump. Thought the fluid would bust something when it froze but it must back drain. I made a little attachment that I hook up to the booms to blow them out with the air compressor. It is all standard garden house fittings.

I keep telling my wife that someday that bare spot that in the lawn will grow back. I don't know what witches brew I had in the sprayer but where I blew the booms out is waaayyyy dead and has been for a couple years. She doesn't want me anywhere near the house with the sprayer now unless she watches me do the tank mix. I don't think she would know 2,4-D from glyphosate but it makes her feel better and that, my friends, is what it's all about.

We have the Bomgaars 25 gallon sprayer, but ditched the metal brackets that are supposed to mount it on your rack. They pinched the tank and caused leaks the first couple of years, so now we mounted the tank to the rack using a 2x12 and drilled out holes where needed. MUCH more stable, and mounts a little higher when beans are taller for that second spraying.

Our plots are also a bit remote from running water, so we recently picked up a 65 gallon tank that can be thrown in the back of a pickup, so we can now spray all of the plots without having to make a 2 mile run back to the place for water. Just thought I'd throw that in incase someone else was in the same situation.

NWBuck

The fimco has worked great for me Andy. Its the boomless unit that is not very good. Its easy to make your own boom if need be to go with the pump. Had mine for 6 years now and its still doing great.

The fimco has worked great for me Andy. Its the boomless unit that is not very good. Its easy to make your own boom if need be to go with the pump. Had mine for 6 years now and its still doing great.

I have mine rigged up with a custom 10' boom, but was looking in to getting the Fimco Boomless that says it will spray out to 45'. They look sweet on the website. Can you tell me what you dont like about them.

were you running a big enough gpm pump with it?

I have mine rigged up with a custom 10' boom, but was looking in to getting the Fimco Boomless that says it will spray out to 45'. They look sweet on the website. Can you tell me what you dont like about them.

Those boomless are like a fart in the wind.. To put water over a 45ft span takes some big drops so you aren't getting very good coverage. Throw in any tiny breeze and your coverage goes down. I'm not sure what those boomless sprayers are good for? I can't ever see using one again... we've got two that dad would probably give away.. They can't cover 45ft well. We thought we'd just turn the end nozzles down and in and cove 30ft instead... it just doesn't work. Get a 10ft boom or better yet make one yourself! Nothing more rewarding and they're pretty simple!:way:

Pump is plenty big enough, its like a rain dropping on them tho. There is no mist to the boomless portion of the spray and I do not think the coverage is very good on the boomless. I have killed sod with it, but went over it twice to be certain it got enough.

So this is false advertising, I see what your saying though, It would be pretty tough to get a fine mist out that far unless its in droplett form.

My foodplots are in a maze of brush and small patches of trees and we have nearly ripped our boom off a couple times. I really thaught this was the ticket.

Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom