Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Back in business

Shovelbuck

Even I get lucky once in awhile.;)
I had been putting off installing new nipples in my 1860's two row shotgun since I bought it. The original nipples were worn down and burned out, but they were still working and I limped them along. Last fall, I had loaned the gun to a friend for dove hunting, and when we were done for the day, I noticed while cleaning that one of the nipples had a hole burnt / blown out through the side.:eek:
Figuring those 150 year old things weren't going to come out without a fight, I had the drill and bits, along with easy outs at the ready.
To my absolute surprise, with a little heat and some W-D40, they broke loose easily and screwed out with my fingers!
Then got lucky again when they were of a standard size that I could simply order on-line.
It's ready for another century of use:way:

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

Last edited:
How much heat did it take? in other words did you have to use a torch or just a heat gun of some kind? I'd be afraid to get it too hot and leave tempering colors if I used a torch.

The 'Bonker

WOW, I would say that was lucky, I would have thought they would be well settled in. :D

How much heat did it take? in other words did you have to use a torch or just a heat gun of some kind?

Bonker, I used a propane torch. I concentrated the heat around the nipples, not on them. When the WD just started to smoke when sprayed on, I stopped.

Top Bottom