Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bass sense of smell??

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I am curious to know anyones experiences using scents on artificial lures. I have read that Largemouth have a very keen sense of smell.... Does anyone religiously use scents while fishing for them?

I also have never been under the impression that scents matter much to a Smallmouth.... anyone have any experiences or references that they would like to share?

I'm in no way a bass expert but here's my view on scented baits for bass. I think Largemouths are pretty much sight/movement strikers. Thus, most of the time scent shouldn't matter. Though if the bass are mouthing the bait and dropping it, they might hold it longer if it has a scent. If you are missing strikes, scented baits might help.

If this is related to your Gulp bait post, the boys bought some of this product and reported that they thought it was great. They said the fish loved it. It is hard to tell since they were fishing a spot where a bare hook will catch fish. I haven't fished with it and I'm not sure exactly which Gulp product it was.

I don't bass fish alot with anything else but rubber worms. Rubber worms through the years have always had a scent to them. But I don't know if its the texture of the worm or the scent that makes them hold on to it a little longer.

I agree that they will strike about anything, but may hold on to scented baits longer. I've fished probably most brands of tubes on the market, both scented and unscented, and for some reason the garlic scented Chompers outfish everything else. They are also a little bigger but I'm not sure if it's the scent or size or the combo of both...

As far as smallies go, I've never had issues catching them with anythning really. IMO they are just as much, or even more aggressive than LMouths.

Scent is important, but i do not apply any scent to any of my baits. both LM and SM bass are opportunistic feeders and usually eat when a good opportunity presents itself.

However, if the bass are in a super negative mood, i will be more inclined to use strongly scented baits....

power bait and gulp are awesome baits!!!

Top Bottom