Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bass Spawning?

Elitebowhunter

Went out fishing last night after work with a buddy. Tried one of my first farm ponds and caught 14 crappie and 16 bass. Took them all to a new pond from 3 years ago. Decided to go over the hill to my big bass pond (I have pictures on here of the 6 pound bass we caught out of there last year). Get over the hill and see big ripples in the water and notice that they are all around the edges. Walk down eager to try to snag one of the bass I notice that NONE of them will bite. We finally decided that the bigger bass were spawning while the little bass (pound or less) were still biting well.

Isn't it a little early for them to spawn? :confused:

we're actually behind a bit. Last year at this time the bass were already sitting on beds in lakes. ponds are always a couple weeks ahead of the bigger bodies of water. The cooler weather has kept the fish deeper, but this next week there are gonna be fish all over the shallow spawning flats.

Great time to be out there!

bass spawn

I'd say if your pond is smaller and somewhat wind protected, that water is probably a lot warmer than the larger lakes and they could indeed be spawning.

If you are patient enough and can see them, you can catch them off the beds.. Just need to tick them off enough..

Good Luck!!!

Ohhhh they will bite!! Creature baits and lizards work awesome for me with the big females.

Top Bottom