Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best fletch for Whisker Biscuit

hayseed

What would be the best fletch for a right handed bow shooting a whisker biscuit. Would a straight fletch be able to stabilize the arrow for accurate flight at longer ranges?

1/4" plate steel.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I commented on this awhile back but I'll try again. This is just my thinking so it is probably wrong. Straight fletchings will contact fewer whiskers than curved. All of the fletching on a straight vane or feather will go through the same "channel" in the biscut where as a curved vane or feather has to contact more whiskers becasue it is curved. If you look at the shaft from the nock end a straight vane or feather is at noon four and eight o'clock or 0, 120 and 240 degrees. A curved vane or feather starts at the same clock or degree position but ends 6 dgrees beyond (0-6, 120-126 and 240-246 degrees) where the vane or feather starts. This curve contacts more whiskers because it can't cut one channel through the whiskers. I think this will cause more drag and slow you arrow down. How much? If sombody has a chronometer we could run some tests. As far as stabilizing the arrow, I use straight vanes and feathers. I have taken deer with them, so I guess it works.

If I'm off on this PLEASE correct me. It won't be the first time I've been wrong.

The 'Bonker

i think it's a double edged sword. you'll want the helical to give you some spin because i personally think the biscuits reduce arrow spin. with that comes a problem, more fletching surface area hitting the biscuit slowing it down. straight fletch will reduce the surface area but not as much flight stabilization.

having said all that, IF i had a whisker biscuit i'd go with the slight helical for better arrow stabilization.

A slight offset-straight fletched (about 6 degree offset) arrow shot thru a whisker crono'd at the same speed as a nap600 "tm" style rest. This was two years ago before the "softer tines" on the new whisker. I cannot imagine it causing much more than a 5-7fps loss with a drastic helical.

BTW, the offset on the fletch will still go thru the same "channel" as a straight fletch(imagine yourself walking thru a bead curtain) it just pushes a slightly wider path thru the same area.

those blazer vanes would work good in a biscuit, i would think. speed loss with any vane will be minimal. 5-7 fps won't make a bit of difference when shooting a deer

I used to shoot a whisker bicuit shot my bow through CIA's chrono with a TM Hunter two prong style rest and then the bicuit with aae vanes with an agressive helical and there was no change in speed whatsoever. As far as longer ranges i dont know what you had in mind but i shot mine consistantly at 40yds with no problems.

my buddy and I both shoot with a biscuit he has helical on his and I don't I'm refletching my arrows to put one on though. As far as slowing the arrow down I don't think it will be enough to worry about, I will be gaining more arrow stability thats what really counts.
Hey, Teroy where did farley go
shrug[1].gif

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, the offset on the fletch will still go thru the same "channel" as a straight fletch(imagine yourself walking thru a bead curtain) it just pushes a slightly wider path thru the same area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Splitting a hair here, the fletching is tapered at one end so it can't make a channel for the helical cut to follow through. If the fletch was not tapered I could see it following the same channel.

Bottom line is arrow speed isn't slowed much either way.

The 'Bonker

Get the new style of bisquit and dont worry about anything. shoot whatever you want. all you need to worry about is if your acurate and if your not its not due to the biscuit.

I recently spoke to my archery coach and he has started using the Biscuit. He chronographed his arrows and lost at most 1-2 fps. His arrows were something like 232-233 without the Biscuit and 231-232 with it. Needless to say, speed loss should be minimal. Having said that, I still recommend right helical fletching for fixed blade broadhead stabilization.

Thanks for your input in here Mike. Your definetly are one of the go to guys on the site.
Chad

Top Bottom