Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best load for Hawken Muzzleloader

Altiman94

Now that late season is near, it's time to start thinking about the muzzy again. I've hunted for quite some time with my in-line CVA. With 100 grains of Pyrodex in pellet form powering a 295 grain Powerbelt sabot, I just can't miss.

I'd like to develop a load for my hawken. It's a #11 Percussion Cap side lock. It's a rather neat gun and I actually havent even shot it yet. Picked it up mostly just for hanging above the fire place.

I'd like to start with a patch and round ball. I know there's a few guys shooting these things and would like to hear what the best load to start with would be.

My old man's gun used to shoot patch and round ball great with open sights.

I assume you have a .50 cal. I actually have a .54 caliber Hawken that I haven't used in years, but can't bring myself to part with it. I tell myself every year that I am going to use her again, and I never do.

My first muzzleloader was a 50 that I shot a patched roundball with. First 2 bucks I ever shot were with it. But for the life of me, I can't remember the load I used. Now with the .54, I only use 90 grains of loose Pyrodex or Triple 7 and a Hornady "Great Plains" 425 gr. HBHP bullet. I have tried 100 - 120 grains of powder, but it was overkill. Seemed to get way better grouping with only 90 grains. Makes a BIG difference when you don't have a recoil pad!:grin: Plus I never took shots at over 100 yards anyway.

I do know that the sidelocks are more touchy about the powder amounts. My inline TC doesn't care if I shoot 100 or 150 grains. Shoots the same both ways (maybe not the distance though). But with my sidelocks, just 10 grains one way or the other could really impact where your shots go. Just my experience with them anyway.

Glad to hear someone still likes to do it "old school" I may have to dig the old girl out and touch off a round or two. Good luck with it!

If it's a .50 cal. a good place to start would be a .490 ball with .015 to .018 think patch, and about 75 grains of real black or Pyrodex RS.
Read your patches when sighting in to see if they are burning or not. If burning, go thicker patch or a .495 ball. Adjust powder charge until burning stops. Use plenty of lube on the patches.
You may feel that charge is light, but fact is....you don't need a ton of powder to push a heavy round ball through a deer. I only use 65 grains in my .62 cal and shot clear through my buck last year at 75 yds.

The 'hawken' I have isn't a real hawken. It doesn't have the double set triggers, the brass trap door to hide a few loads, and has a buttpad on the stock instead of the brass piece. I'm thinking about getting rid of it for a real hawken since I want the double set triggers.

It shows as made in 'italy'. I'm not sure what to ask for it?

Top Bottom