Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

best locator call

DOUBLE LUNG

i was just wondering what is everyone's favorite locator call and for what reason do you feel this way? which one works the best to bust the boss gobblers?

Crow calls, and barred owl calls are my favorite. Why? They usually work! I like the owl call at first light and at last light, which makes sense. Most owls are sounding off early and then again late in the day. Crow can work all day if the turkeys want to respond. Still though, there are those days when the turkeys just don't want to talk no matter what you throw at them.

I think this could also get lumped into the "shock call" topic.

Pupster

11 weeks to go!!

I have never used locator call's,I would rather just wait for them to gobble on there own.If they are not gobbling on there own then they usually will not gobble at anything anyway.
If I were going to use a locator I would use a crow call,I hear more bird's gobbling because of a crow screaming at them then anything else in the wood's.I do carry a crow call with me but seldom use it.If I'm trying to locate later in the day I use a box call.

THE HIGH PITCH OF A BOAT PADDLE BOX CALL IS AN AWESOME LOCATOR IN THE LATE AM TO EARLY PM TIME FRAME. QUAKER BOY HAS A NEW CRANKIN CROW CALL THAT IS SURPRISINGLY LOUD AND REALISTIC SOUNDING.....THE BEST LOCATOR CALL I HAVE FOUND FOR EARLY AND LATE IN THE DAY IS A COYOTE HOWLER---BEST IF USED NOT UNDER A ROOST TREE, TURKS TEND TO FLY STRAIGHT UP AND AWAY. I SHOULD ALSO WARN ABOUT USING HOWLERS IN A PASTURE FULL OF 150 PLUS CATTLE DURING CALVING TIME(SPRING TURKEY SEASON)---COWS HAVE A SLIGHT TENDENCY TO TRY AND RUN ME OVER.....
smile.gif
smile.gif
THE BEST ADVISE I CAN GIVE ON LOCATOR CALLS IS TO KEEP IT NATURAL---CROWS ARENT GOING AN HOUR BEFORE SUNUP. KEEP IT REAL AND THEY WILL COME. M350 OUT

I've never used a locator call before but I just got one this year,Ithink it will help me alot more in locating these toms as several toms I've heard them gobble then they fly off the roost and go hush,lol! I got the Primos Power Crow because on another forum,3/4 of the relpies recommended this call and they were right! It is really loud,easy to use,and sounds great! Can't wait to try it out,hehe!

I use a barred owl hooter in early morning while they're still on the roost and a Hammerin' crow call and a homemade box call as my locators during the day. Something about the way a box call will carry. Once I get their attention,I switch over to diaphragms and slates.

It's soon be time!!!!

Threebeards

I just slam my truck door
grin.gif

If you get to spend lots of mornings out like I have you can get the feel for the morning wake up routine of an area.

In the areas I hunt, sometimes I do nothing. But I also carry a goose call (my favorite) as well as owl and crow. I do not use the crow as much because it annoys me.

I agree with M350, keep it natural. You can tell you have a new hunter in the woods when you here a crow an hour before light.
wink.gif

I like the owl and crow call as well.

My buddy from Missouri swears by his hawk screech/scream during daylight hours. I need to try one hear in Michigan because these birds are getting smarter every year.

I remember 12 years ago you would have no problem calling in a mature Tom, but today if you get him to sixty yards, pat yourself on the back. The number of turkey hunters has increased dramatically since then and MI hunters have educated these birds to be pretty smart.

Nonres

well i use the primos power crow locator and i went out turkey scoutin and the gobbel away.
hope this helps

Top Bottom