Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big blue stem vs. Switchgrass

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
We have a stand of a mix of little blue stem and big blue stem that we are considering changing to switchgrass. What would be the best way to do this? I am thinking a late Sept. burn and then frost seed in switch or will the big/little blue take over come May.

How big is the stand and why do you want to change?

Depending on the quality of the stand of bluestem, the switch will outcompete over time. Do you have room for both?

It is large..like 10 acres, we are just thinking that switch could be a touch better/taller or last longer through the winter for cover. Maybe we'll put some switch in else where if its going to be a bunch of work for little gain.

I think I saw a TV show a few days ago that was talking about CRP and habitiat. They suggested you needed to plant at least three different kinds of NWSG instead of using straight switch. They didn't really say why just that you should. Maybe trying to avoid a monoculture?

The 'Bonker

Swtich will stand better that is for sure and a 10 acre block would provide cover. When I look at native grass and how I see deer- it really doesn't take a huge screen between the deer and me before I can't see them at all.

Top Bottom