Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Buck, What Now?

blake

Life Member
Your vote in this poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those iowawhitetail.com members who have chosen to participate. The results of this poll cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of all iowawhitetail.com users in general, nor the public as a whole.

We have all heard the stories; hard work, scouting, proper tree stand placement, practicing for longs hours with the bow or gun, and spending the time in the woods. Finally the deer hunter manages to harvest a really big buck, one for the books or just a really big unique deer with a lot of character. You know, the kind of deer that all hunters dream about harvesting.

The lucky hunter is now in the spotlight of the deer hunting world with his new found fame. Everyone wants to congratulate him, asking to see the rack, or email the harvest photos of the brute.

Then there is the magazine offers wanting exclusives on the story, and the equipment endorsements, e.t.c. you get the picture. The hunter is on cloud nine!

Suddenly the unthinkable happens, the antlers are stolen.

Some dirt bag rips off the antlers to be sold in the underground antler market or to a foreign country for a "natural" form of the blue pill. Or perhaps the antlers are mounted in some CEO's office in New York City while the new owner brags to his buddies about the hunt over a scotch on the rocks.

What is a person to do????????????

Perhaps hire BlackWater for security around your home?

Or sell the rack to a large sporting goods store after having replicas of the antlers made?

Perhaps lock the antlers in a vault?

Or display them proudly in your home or office and dare some low life to come and get them?

So far I don't have to worry about the above scenario. But should I ever be in this situation I would probably have replicas made of the antlers. I don't think I could or would sell the original rack, perhaps lock it away somewhere?

Your feedback is appreciated.

voted no, but assumed that first I most likely won't ever have that problem and second I took "share with others" to mean share with the world...because I'd share my story with my buddies and anyone who came over to see my mount.

I guess if I got tossed under the wheel by some "friends" I'd have to reconsider my answer...

How big and mature are we talking here?
I think we can all say one thing or another, but until you're actually put in that situation, you never really know.
I could easily say I would share with others (and I have before) but if someone started flashing even 5 figures at me, I don't know that I could justify to my wife why I didn't take it. For that matter, I don't think I could stop my wife from slipping something in my drink and running off and selling it anyway.

I think I'd just do what I've always done. Drive over to the landowner's house, have a beer before we both go and load the deer into my truck. I'll then post if for some people to see here, after I beg someone to take a photo or two. I've done the magazine thing..not sure I would again. But I'd still be willing to pour a whiskey to anyone who may stop over for a looksee, much like I have done in the past with any deer I've taken.

If it ever happened it would be hard not to sell after getting replicas made. If the right price came up as to where I could be pretty much debt free it would be hard to turn down.

For me, replicas and keep the real set locked away. Although my "Shovelbuck" antlers aren't what some consider world class, they are unique and probably the best I'll ever find. They seldom leave the safety of where they are kept. Usually it's replicas that go out for display or to shows.
The rumors of vast amounts of money for big racks is usually just that.....rumors.
If you want to make a few bucks,
the money is in selling world class replicas, not a one shot deal on the originals. If you play your cards right, you can get a few sets for yourself free and a percentage of every set sold. Better yet, buy the mold from the replicator, around a 1000.00 the last I checked, and do them yourself.
Check out these prices for world class replicas............

http://www.deergear.com/departments.asp?dept=51

I went with replicas also. I'd like to believe I would keep the rack but I don't dare say without having been in the situation ,not like I need to worry. :grin:

I'd share the story with the whole world, do the whole endorsement crap, and everything, but also have replicas made! A good security system would be put in place in my home as well. My guess is a couple of low life hillbillies aren't smart enough to disarm a security system. I'd keep the mount in a room that is always locked as well, somewhere in the center of my home, in my man cave, no windows. BOOM. Good plan?

If I killed something like that, nobody other than family or friends would get a look at it.

My hunting is about my life and enjoyment, nothing else.

I do hope everyone gets the same opportunities though....

I dont believe in shooting big bucks....

kill em while they are young!
:grin:

THA4 said:
I dont believe in shooting big bucks....

kill em while they are young!
:grin:

"Taking tomorrows trophies today" :grin: The young ones are more tender anyway! ;)

Top Bottom