Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Pig

Hey fellas, I had to share this. On the way to work everyday I pass a refuge that consists of approx. 20-25 acres of land. I see a lot of does, yearlings and a few bucks from time to time. But nothing like I witnessed this morning. As I pass the parcel, I always slow down to see if I can catch any new trails coming off the embankment that they may be using to cross on to the neighboring farms. Then...I saw him, what a pig. Ya'll know they always look bigger in velvet, but he looked like he could go 150+. I glassed him and he looked like a main frame 6x5 w/ one split brow tine a sticker that came straight out the back of his right beam. I about fell out of my truck. You have to understand something...I live in a small, close knit town and the shear fact that noone has layed eyes on this buck before is crazy. If someone has seen a good buck in the area, people will talk. Reguardless, there he was. With only 78 days until the opening day of the PA archery season, that kind of sighting gets me pumped. I don't know about the rest of you, but if sightings like that doesn't get your heart thumping in your ears, then you have no business in the timber.

I also saw a good one last night. I agree there is nothing like it and this site is the place to share those sightings. It just isn't the same running into the house and you say "honey you should have seen the huge rack I just saw!"
brick[1].gif

How do you feel the antler restriction worked out there in PA. Do you think that buck may be a product of that program. Have never really talked to anyone from out there about their feelings on this issue... ?

I don't know if this deer is a direct product of the restriction. Judging by the size of him I think he has been around a couple of years and the restriction only took place at the beginning of last years bow season. Regardless, I think the restriction is a good thing. I beleive we will see a better quality of deer this year and even better in the seasons to come. I know we have been seeing more bucks in general this summer then we've seen in the past just because those first year and 1 1/2 year old bucks have been aloud to pass through a season or two.

Top Bottom