Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackpowder Pellets/Bullet questions

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
MN Blackpowder season opens Nov 29; which is a NO SCOPE season.

A buddy and I (and few others) are heading to SW MN Wed. night for some pheasant hunting and a couple of days of blackpowder hunting. I know most the land we'll be hunting from previous pheasant trips and if this happens like I think its going to, Im gonna need my deer rifle not this smokepole with no scope. Its 100% wide open.

So, Im not changing my bullet/powder combo again till next year.
I shoot, Powerbelt 245areotips, with 2 (50gr) Pellets. I switched this year to the Jim Shockey Gold stuff /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif (wish I wouldnt have /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif)

My gun is 2 to 3in high at a 100yds.

For 100grs of Pryodex pellets(Im shooting Shockeys) with the 245areotips suggested trajectory.

+3.36 @100
0 @150
-3.6 @175
-8.77 @200

With my gun 2-3in high at 100yds, Im bout 8in low at 150yds? My front bead is about the size of a catelope at 100yds(covers a 6in dot) and at 150(covers a 8in dot) so Im pretty much just throwing lead down there anyways. Im not expecting to be shooting MOA but I thought my bullet drop was a bit much.

1# Does my bullet drop seem a bit much to anyone else?

Second:
My bullets crawl left to right the further back I go. At 50yds If Im an 1.5 to left at 150 Im 4in to the right. I was shooting today with a 10mph left to right wind. But I wouldnt think that would push a 245gr bullet around that much. It was 2in to the left at 50yds and an 1in to right at 100yds 3weeks ago when I was shooting it aswell in NO wind.

2# Is there a reason for bullets to walk left to right?

Thanks guys.

hoofline.gif

I had this stored away somewhere. I don’t know if it will help you or not. Good luck on your hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Knight Rifle

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>>Details Here!<<<<< Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Top Bottom