Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bolt Action

Bighole

Just curious if any of you, or your friends have used any of the new bolt action shotguns. Any info would be helpful.

Not a new gun, but I have a Marlin bolt action slug gun that I've used at times. It's an excellent gun and with the 2x7 scope I've got on it, its also very accurate out near 100 yards. Recently I've switched to using my Knight Disc Rifle during shotgun season instead because it has a little better range. On the negative side, the Marlin is a very heavy gun that is probably best used for stand hunting. I know Browning makes an excellent bolt slug gun as well. Good Hunting!

I have three friends who shot bolt action slug guns. All three have rifled barrels, and scopes on them. The slug guns shot pretty good out to 100 yards, and one of my friends can shot fairly well out to 150 yards. We were out shoting this weekend and they all three are amazed at the accurancy and range that I am able to shot with my Knight Disc Extreme. I did shot thier slug guns and was able to shot all three of them more accurately than the guys that owned them. But I must say they kicked like a mule, and I do believe that recoil was part of the problem that these guys were having in obtaining good shot groups. One of my friends has decided to put his slug gun up for sale and get a Knight rifle.

My father uses a Mossberg 695 and has for the past 5 or 6 years. It is topped with a 1.5 to5x scope and is accurate out over 100 yards. Dad hunts from a big ladder stand during slug season and can pick off those big bucks way out in the fields, it is pretty awesome. Last year he downed a big 8 point that was out at 150 yards. Browning does not make their A-bolt slug gun anymore...too expensive. I would say go with the Mossberg and use Remington Copper Solid Sabots...it is a really accurate gun....but get ready for some serious...and I mean serious, recoil. Another word of advice: get another clip, it comes in handy. Good luck and good hunting.

-GunnerJon

I shoot a Mossberg 695 and have been extremely pleased with the accuracy of it. Up to 130 yards or so it is dead on. Mine has a ported barrel so the recoil is not too bad. However, I'm giving up shotgun hunting so the gun is up for sale. I've got the bowhunting bug pretty bad.

Blake, Were any of these guns the Mossberg 695? A "salesman" told me you could get 200 yard accuracy with that gun, I was somewhat doubtful of that. Also were any of your buddies guns ported to help with the recoil? Thanks.

Bighole,

No none of the bolt slug guns my hunting buddies happened to own was the Mossberg 695. One was a Marlin, and two of them were made by Savage. None of them had ported barrels which we did discuss at the time we were shooting them. Two of my friends have a severe case flinching when firing. They all need to spend more time shooting and get the bugs worked out of thier shooting form. As for me, I have not hunted with a slug gun for many years now, I have been hunting with a Knight muzzleloader since 1985, usually during the late season.

I've been trying to decide weather to go with the Mossberg bolt action or get a Hastings slug barrel for a Rem.11-87. I think I'm starting to lean towards the Hastings barrel. Thanks the info!

I had used a hastings rifled barrel for about five years on a remington 870 with good luck with open sights at 75yrds,but with the barrel not being fixed I think I was loosing some accuracy without having a gunsmith pin the barrel,plus going through all that on my bird gun.So I invested in a marlin slugmaster that you can usally get on sale at walley world or k-mart at a decent price.I topped it off with a leupold 1x4 scope and have have exellent luck with it at 130 yrds+.Marlin built this gun as a 10ga goose gun in the 1930's so the gun has proven its self in the field,but it kicks like a 300win. mag. but who notices when you have that big boy in your sights!

A friend of mine who is a diehard slugman bought a Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge a few years ago.

The performance was very impressive for a slug gun. Had as good of group as the the inline MZ's up to 125 yards.

For the money the Mossburg 695 is a very impressive shotgun.I use it in Indiana every year and its great out to 125 and more if those slugs wernt so expensive and even with the ported barrell a box of shells will wear on anyone
cool.gif

I have an ABolt with a fully rifled barrel, has very good accuracy to 125 yards, haven't really tried beyond that range because don't think it an appropriate shot. Highly recommend it if you can find one--are a bit pricey. Doesn't like 3" shells however, tight head clearance, about welded the first and only I shot into the chamber. Also have a BPS Game Gun (model I have is no longer made, ceased in 2001) with a rifled choke. It is is very close to being as accurate if not as, think you'd need a bench rest to really tell the difference, don't carry one along while hunting so probably doesn't matter.

And a friend has a Mossberg bolt with fully rifled barrel, don't know the model number, but I am impressed with its accuracy as well. Not quite as pretty as the Brownings, but not nearly as expensive either.

Main advice is to get a rifled something, barrel or choke, if accuracy is what you're after I would guess that about any would be better than a smooth barrel. Personally I'm a Browning fan, but alos think my friend's Mossberg bolt is quite ccurate and wouldn't say anything against it.

Top Bottom