Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Boots

BowHunter84

Lookin to buy a new set of Rocky boots,
I was wondering if anyone uses them to tell me if their feet EVER get cold no matter what conditions it is under, I HATE cold feet! im looking at the deer stalker extremes rated at -120 or the snow stalkers rated at -150 degrees
the deer stalkers have 1600 grams of thinsulate and the other ones only have 1200 grams why would the one with lower thinsulate be rated for a lower temp?

My suggestion would be to get some boot blankets and put them on over your boots. When you get a pair of boots that are that heavily insulated you would probably have to carry them in otherwise your feet are going to sweat and keep you just as cold. I went most of this year in my 400 gram Danner's with a pair of boot blankets over them, kept me warm and comfy.

Hello,

I agree with muddy -- the boot blankets are a good idea when the mercury really plummets. At least, that's what they say. I got a pair for Christmas but haven't had the chance to try mine out yet. It was in the 70's here yesterday!

I've always just "toughed it out". I've got a pair of 1000 gram Irish setters that work well for temps down to about 10 degrees and for 3 hours or less on stand in those temps. I wear one thin pair of wool socks under a pair of thicker wool socks. And on stand hunts below about 20 degrees, I'll put a "hot hands" chemical handwarmer between the socks for added warmth. On stand hunts colder than that, I'll go to a snowmobile boot. Yes, feet can sweat. But the wool socks help keep the moisture off the skin for the most part.

But if you really want warm feet, get a pair of "bunny boots" from military surplus. The general consesus is that there is no warmer boot made. And, bunnies are rubber which make them better for scent control as well. The guys I know that wear them claim that they just don't get cold feet no matter how cold it gets! Someday before my brain freezes I'll toss my old, heavy, snowmobile boots and get a pair of bunnies! I think one can get a pair for $40 or so. Talk about a true bargain!

Hey, good luck with your feet!

Raven

Depending on the kind of hunting you do would depend on your boots. I bow hunt and 90% of the time I go hunting I wear a pair of 8 year old $60 LaCrosse outdoorsman, all rubber. These are similar to Burly's, but are green and less insulation. They sweat on warm October days.

I spray them every time with scent neutralizer.

When it is real cold I switch to Sorel pack boots with 1/2" wool blend liner. Both have rubber hitting the forest floor for scent control.

I save my Rocky's for the occasional elk hunt out west where I might hike 7-10 miles a day and for hunting other game where I walk alot.

Boots today are the best they have ever been but the problem in when it gets really cold, unless your moving you feet will freeze. I would like to take all the boot makers with their so called 40 below or better boots and set them out in 10 below weather for three hours and see what they think of their boots then.........
- 100 below boots how stupid do they we are!

I have been satisfied with the Rocky boots I have had for comfort and waterproof qualities. But I think the grams thinsulate etc...gets our $$$ as much as anything for setting around and keeping our feet warm.

I think the boottie covers or actually just taking off boots and putting multiple dry layered socks on to sit is most likely better.

I experience foot sweating in sealed/insulated boots when traveling to where I sit. I also think individual circulation may make it hard for anyone to design and advertise a boot that works for everyone.

Anymore I just try to avoid setting still too long when hunting in cold weather. Nothing out there worth cold feet.
smile.gif

I bought some Cabela's Glacier Point Pac Boots and was very impressed with them. Below zero, I would wore two pairs of wool socks and sit for 3 hrs at a time. My feet were nice and warm the whole time. Walking in, they didn't make my feet sweat and that is what usually gets me with thinsulate. Never will buy a per of thinsulate boots again for winter hunting.

Tim

Top Bottom