Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowhunting Iowa

W

wolverinehunter

Hello,
I am a dedicated Michigan Bowhunter, I was hoping someone could give me sound advice on Bowhunting Iowa. What counties are most likely to produce 130-160-180 inch whitetails. I am very intrested in a 5-7 day hunt, if i am lucky enough to draw one of your nonresident tags. There doesnt appear to be much state owned land, where would you go?Any advice would be helpful.

southwestern iowa, northeastern iowa are the best general ares. If you have 5-7 days, you want to be right where the caliber buck u mentioned is most likely to also be. Madison, marion, warren, allemakee and clayton county just to name a few. if you want to use an outfitter you need to start making arrangments as soon as possible. they fill up fast. there are some good public areas hat don,t get a tremendous amount of pressure, but you really need to get in there and scout it hard and long. you can find just about any caliber deer in the state but the higher percentages are in the counties i mentioned. northeast iowa has alot of deer so they hold the records for number of B&C and P&Y but southern iowa has in my opinion, in my opnion, a chance for world class deer. let me know if i can be more helpful.

I screwed up, southwestern iowa is good also, but i meant to say southeastern iowa.

Thanks primetime,
I am not planning to go through an outfitter, I would like to drive out(9-10 hours from here) late summer and scout, It appears that zone 5 is the best chance to draw a nonresident tag. there dont appear to be much public landto hunt. Is there any particular public area better than another in this area (w/o alot of pressure)maybe even small out of the way place to start in this zone 5.

wolverinehunter I don't know much about hunting the rest of iowa but I would be willing to give you a lot of information that isn't readily known to out of state hunters on parts of northeastern iowa. Just email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to answer your questions, and perhaps give you some insight to the area.

Top Bottom