Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Breech Plug Grease?

SWIADEERHNTR

Come 'on Next Season....
I bought my first muzzleloader Sat. at Scheels in DSM. I was very happy with it. I borrowed a friends old CVA last year and got along fine with it. My buck dropped dead just the same and I didn't figure I needed to spend double the money for a TC for whitetails in Iowa. Anyways...I ended up getting a great deal on a Traditions Pursuit, Thumbhole stock, nickel barrel, quick remove breach etc...

My question is, in the book it says to apply "Traditions Breach plug anti-seize" on the plug so it doesn't stick. I know first hand about this because my buddy forgot to grease his breach plug and it was seized bad in his gun. Does anyone know if this is a special lube or is it just any high temp anti-seize for threads? I just didn't know if I needed to go buy this specific stuff or if I could just use some general high-temp anti-seize.

My second question is the book says "when using Triple 7 powder" you can only use 130 grains. It says you can use pellets or powder triple 7 but it gave the warning several times that you can only use 130 grains when using triple 7 powder (always used the word powder, not pellets). Does anyone know if this really applies to just the powder or is it any triple 7? Last year, I just used 3 pellets (50g each so 150grains total).

Thanks for your help!

You can go to any auto parts store and buy anti-seize compound, same stuff and probably cheaper than what TC is trying to sell.

I can't speak to the Triple 7 question.

I agree with both guys. I bought a small tube of anti-sieze years ago and still have it. You don't have to slop it on and get it all over the place but make sure to cover all the threads. Use your fingers to wipe it in the threads.

Don't go over what the manufacturer say's. Better be safe than sorry. Besides, 100 grains of powder and a 165 grn sabot will kill a deer.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I figured 100 grains of powder would be enough...its probably the same principle as shooting a shotgun 2 3/4" load vs. a 3 1/2" load....both will kill a deer. Thanks again!

You guys just use anti-sieze? I guess I never thought of it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Besides, 100 grains of powder and a 165 grn sabot will kill a deer.

So will 85 grains and a 245 grain powerbelt :) Just shoot the highest charge (up to manufacturer specs) that gives you an acceptable group, and doesn't kick you like a mule. Best of luck.

My CVA manual says 110 grains, by volume of granular powder or 150 grains equivalency of approved powder pellets. I plan on only using 100 grains of pellets but it gives the max recommended for either.

Top Bottom