Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadcasting brassicas into soybeans

Will be broadcasting brassicas into a struggling bean field. Will be broadcasting DE Rape, PT Turnips and GHFR.

Question is: should I increase the seeding rates when broadcasting into standing beans being as there is no tillage involved? (ie 5# GHFR, 3# PTT, 2# DER)

I would increase the #'s when broadcasting as opposed to planting. Some seeds will not get seed/soil contact so a higher # are required for a good stand usually.

I have never had very good results broad casting into beans. I assume the inputs used for corn benifit the brassicas. maybe you could time it with a rain and include some nitrogen.

I've got a soybean plot with some bare spots due to flooding earlier in the season, and I'm going to broadcast PT turnips into them tomorrow. I read somewhere to plan on a 50% higher seeding rate when broadcasting vs. drilling, so I'm going to aim for about 10# per acre. I'm also going to put my son to work with a hand rake trying to rough the areas up a bit to get a little better soil to seed contact.

NWBuck

I've got a soybean plot with some bare spots due to flooding earlier in the season, and I'm going to broadcast PT turnips into them tomorrow. I read somewhere to plan on a 50% higher seeding rate when broadcasting vs. drilling, so I'm going to aim for about 10# per acre. I'm also going to put my son to work with a hand rake trying to rough the areas up a bit to get a little better soil to seed contact.

NWBuck

Do you have a tamper? If so, have Jr. tamp them after broadcasting them. It will build character and help the seeds. :D

Thanks guys. I will give it a shot (can't hurt) and seed about 50% more than normal rates.

I'm hoping this years soybean struggle will help solidly my pitch to other family members to use the dbltree mix in the future.

Thanks guys. I will give it a shot (can't hurt) and seed about 50% more than normal rates.

I'm hoping this years soybean struggle will help solidly my pitch to other family members to use the dbltree mix in the future.

You could also sow some seed now, ideally right in front of a rain, and then give it a week or two to see how it is coming and then sow a little more if necessary. It is correct that you will need to up the seed count when just broadcasting on bare ground...but, it is also pretty easy to overdo it with those tiny seeds.

If you get it too thick, it will stunt the growth. That is why I think you may want to "feather" your approach. It is still early enough that I think you probably have a little time to take a multi-step approach.

Also, it is my experience that turnips need a little more growing time than say the ground hog forage radishes do. So you could possibly sow your turnips...wait a week and then fill in with the GHFR's.

You could also sow some seed now, ideally right in front of a rain, and then give it a week or two to see how it is coming and then sow a little more if necessary. It is correct that you will need to up the seed count when just broadcasting on bare ground...but, it is also pretty easy to overdo it with those tiny seeds.

If you get it too thick, it will stunt the growth. That is why I think you may want to "feather" your approach. It is still early enough that I think you probably have a little time to take a multi-step approach.

Also, it is my experience that turnips need a little more growing time than say the ground hog forage radishes do. So you could possibly sow your turnips...wait a week and then fill in with the GHFR's.

You could also hold off on the nitrogen and apply some say a week or two later to give it a bump in growth too if it seems to be struggling.

You could also hold off on the nitrogen and apply some say a week or two later to give it a bump in growth too if it seems to be struggling.

Good point...another thing I thought about after my last reply. It has been my experience that GHFR's will rot out/mush up much sooner than turnips after a hard freeze or two. So, depending on what you are trying to accomplish and when you get frozen over, etc, you may want to consider that too.

GHFR's are definitely popular while they last and good for the soil, but they are a "softer" crop than the turnips. I don't think I have had attractive GHFR's after say the 1st of December ever, but I have had turnips that the deer are still pawing at and digging in late January.

Will be broadcasting brassicas into a struggling bean field. Will be broadcasting DE Rape, PT Turnips and GHFR.

Question is: should I increase the seeding rates when broadcasting into standing beans being as there is no tillage involved? (ie 5# GHFR, 3# PTT, 2# DER)

I've had good luck with extra heavy on open areas in the beans...or another option is put it on thick by the blind or stand

Mixed success with this in the past, heavy rain makes the difference

Thanks for the replies fellas. Long range forecast looks dry as of now. I will probably hold off planting until early/mid week next week depending on rain. I had left a portion in killed rye straw that I will till under for the brassicas but will also be broadcasting a portion into the standing beans. Planning on broadcasting about 50-60% more than recommended into the beans. We will see how it goes. If it fails I will just spread winter rye at the end of August so either way I should get some good use out of the ground.

Winter rye is gonna be far more of a sure thing. Another reason is because Brassicas require a longer growing season - the reason I'm planting my turnips/radishes now & rye Sept 1. MOST the time Brassicas in beans are not going to be great. What I personally do is tear up the areas around the bean fields NOW that were destroyed by deer & do them "the right way". If that's not an option, some things you could also try.... Find the areas that have been killed by deer & opened up - broadcast slow release N (heck, go find lawn fertilizer without the weed killer if needed) & turnips & radishes in those parts. Rye is easier because you can time it for when the leaves yellow and rye will have enough time to turn into something edible.

Top Bottom