Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadcasting on no-till?

SWBUCKHNTR

I have and area that I would like to put in a clover brassica mix. One problem is that I have absolutley no possible way to get any equipment to the area. I could carry a weed eater and a back pack sprayer but that is about it. If I were to weed eat an area down spray it with round up and then broadcast seed on top would I be doing any good or just wasting my time? Curious to see what you guys have to say. Thanks

Clover is actually one of the seeds that you can broadcast and get by not tilling. Its not a 100%, but it has a good chance of making it. If there is a good amount of light that gets to the area, you could try winter wheat or rye. It will grow just on the ground residue, not beign worked in.

Thought of a couple same areas to do that with myself. My thoughts were to do it a day or two after spraying round-up AND combine that with rain right after broadcasting. Think that's ok? (Timing)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> combine that with rain right after broadcasting. (Timing) </div></div>

That would be the key I would think. A good rain should carry the seeds to dirt.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> combine that with rain right after broadcasting. (Timing) </div></div>

That would be the key I would think. A good rain should carry the seeds to dirt.

Dean </div></div>

and having a relatively trash free soil surface...in otherwords mowing (even with a weed whip), spraying the regrowth (after grasses start to re-grow) and then seeding ahead of a rain.

Brassicas, clover, and most cereal grains all can work to some extent using broadcast/no-till methods. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

that should work.clover and barasicca seed are so small they will go in the smallest crack and grow...good luck

After seeing your responses, I have to ask. I have a small plot planted to evolved harvest forage beans and sorgum, I was planning on working up (mow, spray, till, fertilize) about a quarter of an acre next to it this early fall and planting some shot plot brassic in it. I'm I wasting my time tilling, or will it enhance the growth enough to be worth it?

A lot of discussion over on qdma site about no-till plots. I have done a few and if you spray and kill multiple times before seeding you get better results. Timely rain helps a lot too.

I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. I am planning on doing it tonight and first thing tomorrow morning. I will mow tonight. Spray and seed in the morning and hopefully get the rain that we are supposed to be getting tomorrow night. I will do series of before during and after pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm I wasting my time tilling, or will it enhance the growth enough to be worth it? </div></div>

In most all cases you'll have a nicer thicker stand if you till and plant. Use of a no-till drill or planter is another story and also works great but broadcasting on the top will require more seed and possibly a less "robust" stand.

ksq2 and huntdoc.
I will mow, spray and then spray again getting ready for my fall plots.
then I no till in what ever I want.I even have no tilled in small seeds and turnips with great results.
I use a 3 row alis chalmers no till bean planter for this.I hope to get a new great plains no till planter before fall.
check out my web site and look at the rows of max attract 50/50.
2 times last year I was no tilling in seed while it was raining.within 5 days the stuff was up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWBUCKHNTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. I am planning on doing it tonight and first thing tomorrow morning. I will mow tonight. Spray and seed in the morning and hopefully get the rain that we are supposed to be getting tomorrow night. I will do series of before during and after pictures. </div></div> You really should wait until the grass is growing back before you spray to get a good kill. If you spray right away I don't think you will get very good results.

I don't have squat for equipment so my plot consisted of clearing with chainsaw and then nuke everything with Round-up about every 6-8 weeks all summer then broadcast early fall and pray for rain. My plot with better soil is really doing pretty well plus I frost seed to try giving it a boost. Definitely small acreage but when you walk half a mile with 4 gallon sprayer on to get to the plot, I can't handle much more!!!

I'm right with ya huntdoc. One day though I hope to be able to play like the big boys on this forum -- lucky dogs! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

the first food plot I did was with a rake and some seed.I was like man that was fun but it grew into more.I had to get a tractor and then this and that and well it took on a life of its own.
more power to ya brother, I love hard work.

Top Bottom