Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead choicec

Coach

I've been shooting mechanicals the past three years and have had no problems, but I've changed bows. My new setup is pretty fast and I'm not sure if I want to shoot the Rocky Mountain Revolutions anymore. I think I'm going to switch to a fixed head and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a good flying fixed head. I'm shooting a 28" Beman ICS at about 68# through a Hoyt Razortec. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having really good fight with Steel Force broadheads, they fly like darts. I've shot them on aluminum & this year on carbon arrows, work great on every set up I've tried. They even re-sharpen them for free!

Gs Montecs or the Muzzy's are great heads. Can't go wrong with either one. One suggestion though, shoot a few different types and see which flies the best. Also, tune your broadheads for maximum performance

muzzy 100 grain heads out of my RazorTEC at 72 pounds and 27 1/2 inch arrows at a 29 inch draw. wonderful combination. i havn't had a chance to test the steelforce broadheads yet with my graphite GoldTips but will do so soon. good luck.

Muddy, I know you are a big Muzzy fan, so I'll ask you - which of them seem to fly the best: 3 blade or 4 blade ? You mentioned the 100 grain heads - is there any real advantage to going smaller or larger than that? I shoot a High Country Brute Force bow at around 60 pounds. I am using GoldTip arrows. I'm thinking pretty hard about swithching to the Muzzy heads, as my current ones 'surprise' me sometimes. Thanks !

i don't think there'll be any difference between a 3 or 4 bladed head although i've always shot 4 blades. i'd rather sacrifice a little bit of cutting diameter for an extra blade in there. i think what makes the most difference is a properly tuned bow. from what you say i think your set up will be fine with either the 3 or 4 blades. once in awhile i'll also get a surprise from my arrow flight but i think that is more shooter error rather than broadhead error. either one you choose you won't be disappointed, and IF for some reason you are, put a post on here and i know that someone will take them off your hands!!! it's a win win situation!!!
busted.gif

as far as differnet grains goes, i really don't know. i would think going smaller is going to increase speed but sacrifice penetration and larger heads will be exactly opposite. for whitetails a 100 grain head is perfect if you asked me. if you plan on doing some elk hunting with them i'd go with 125's or bigger for maximum penetration. i also shoot GoldTips and everythign is working fine for me. with 60 pounds you shouldn't have to worry about any planing due to the broadhead blades.

that is all sorta jumbled in there together, forgive me, it's late and i'm tired. any more qusetions shoot away.

Coach, the last few years I've had good success with Muzzy 4-blades, Wasp SST's, and Thunderheads...all good, quality BH's.

After shooting all of them, I've decided to go back to Wasp and shoot their new Boss SST. Wicked looking broadhead, that flies right with my field tips. It has a 1 1/8" cut. I've also heard great things about their new Boss Bullet, with a 1" cut. Both are 100 gr. BH's.

I forgot to add I'm shooting 27" 400 gr. ACC's from my BT Patriot at 66 lbs.

Good Luck
TB

Coach,
My situation was similar to yours. I too have been shooting the Revolution and thought it was fantastic, but now I too am convinced it's time to go back to a fixed blade head. If you check out an earlier post you'll see the Slick Trick broadhead talked about, which I purchased. In quick summary, they fly great and will be on my arrows this fall. They're definetely worth checking out. In just a few hours I'm headed on a 5 day bear hunt and I hope to have a chance to give them a good test. I'll let you know the outcome.

NWBuck

Muddy, thanks for the info and opinions. I will pick some up this weekend, and see how they do. If they work well, I'll name my next buck after you.

I have changed my brand of broadheads this year for the past two years i have been shooting steel force 100. Now this year i have switched to thunderhead 100. i hope made the right choice.

I have shot 3 blade 100 grain Thunderheads a few years ago and had great luck. From there I went to a Cabela's head that was pretty much the same for a bit cheaper. Good luck they should work well for you.

Coach- you ended up purchasing almost the exact same setup as me this fall. After great debate I decided to go with the wasp jak-hammers 100 grain 1 3/4 " expandables. The choice to go with anything other than a fixed head was a hard one, but i did and Sept 1st produced a 250 lb MN balck bear that looked like some one shot a bazooka through it, complete pass-thru and the bear only went 30 yards and piled. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above heads mentioned. I have shot steel frorce and zwickeys in the past with little complaints. However, these new expandables required zero tuning as they fly like darts. good luck Chris
26404-archer[1].gif
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom