Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead question

Pupster

I bought a new bow this year and have been shooting it for about 6 months now. I don't really have a big problem but am more interested in what some of you folks might do. My broadheads are hitting about 2" left and 4" low at 20,30 and 40 yds, so it's consistent, and I can easily remedy this by moving my sights, but I don't want to shoot broadheads every time I practice until the season starts. So do I (A) move the sights and hit high and right with my field points or (B) not move the sights until a week before the season. I'm not used to this problem as my old bow shot broadheads the same as field points.
Pupster

Pupster,
I will put two different circles on the target and aim at one and put the other low and to the left and that is where your arrows should hit... Then when you are ready to switch to your broadheads move your sights.

After hunting deer for 20yrs. I didn't know it could get this complicated. Releases,sights,peeps,limb savers, etc, etc...The problem is I won't have any excuses now for not connecting!
Limb, that's exactly what I've done. I think the last week of Sept. I'll move the sights and be done. I hated to move my sights because we might hit a few more 3d shoots yet.
I also ran into a little problem with broadhead clearance. If my blades aren't lined up just right the blade will hit my riser when I get to full draw. But thats a whole different story.
Pupster

Pupster come back! It's not too late. It does not have to be that complicated.

The sights in your head are much easier to adjust (either way).
shocked.gif

You may have to just shoot at 4" shorter deer and aim for the center of ribcage.

BH clearance should never be a problem. (don't cut the arrows off) I never figured out why we cut a shaft off? Not cutting off a shaft makes it easier to reuse after missing the target and breaking the tip off the first time.
grin.gif

Come to think of it, Limb always seems to get his BH's in the right place. Maybe you better listen to him.

Best of Luck to you.......

Pupster,
Makes a good case for using expandable broadheads. Your problem is the same one that caused me to change several years ago.

NWBuck,
Which made you switch? The moving of the sights or the Broadhead clearance? The sights I have are very simple to adjust so that doesn't bother me too much. (I don't want to start something here) As far as expandables I have too many friends that have had bad luck with them. My broadheads are very consistent, breaking knocks at 20yds and about a 3" group at 40. So They are flying great!
Thanks for the posts.
Pupster

Pupster,

If your broadheads aren't grouping reasonably close to your fieldpoints SOMETHING isn't quite right. It could be a tuning problem or maybe just the planing of the fixed blade head...especially true with the solid blades I used. That's why I switched. However, if you're using a lighter weight bow with carbon arrows, then probably expandables aren't going to give you the performance you want. Pulling 68# and using Easton 2317 arrows I've used several different mechanical heads with excellent results in both accuracy and penetration. Good luck!

Pupster

I had that exact same problem about 6 months ago or so, I was moving my sights all over and back again during turkey season, it really sucked...BAD! Then I discovered that my bow tuning was so out of whack that I don't know how it happend. Check the up and down of your arrow rest and the center shot, mine were each off about an inch each way. After proper tuning my bow shoots perfectly, which some would say for PSE is impossible (Bowhuntin'Fool you stay out of that comment) but it's working for me. I see from your profile you're from central iowa, if you can't tune your bow yourself take it to a proshop and have them do it for a small fee, it'll be worth it. Bring it into the Iowa City Scheel's, if I'm working I'll hook ya up.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad someone else has had the same problem.

Two Beards, Thanks for the link. I checked the paper tune last week it was just slightly off.

Muddy, I may be in Hawkeye country this weekend for the football game. I get Flu like symptoms when I get around all of that Black and Gold. Ha Ha. I moved the sights and things are in good shape now.

Shoot a few woodies and teal next weekend and a few honkers the next and then it's show time.
Pupster

Pupster-

I work this weekend, if you make it in look or ask for Matt in the archery section.

Top Bottom