Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadheads - 125's vs. 100's

H

hershy

...was looking for some opinions on the pros and cons of shooting either weight...I am currently shooting 3-bladed, Muzzy 125's through a 60# Jennings Buckmaster Bow...the heads are attached to Cabelas' Carbon Hunter shafts (55/75's?)...being new to this stuff I appreciate any input...though I will not mess with my set up until the off-season to allow me practice time with my set up... also, can you align the blades to the fletchings on an arrow if the fletchings are already attached?...
confused.gif

i always shoot 100s my dad always shoots 125s, i dont really see a difference inbetween them, i think there is a 1/16 inch cutting diameter, but on deer sized game, both are bows always pass through the deer we shoot, so im betting its who you talk to, my dad would say 125 and i would say 100, and just remember a hole through the lungs is a hole through the lungs, my uncle accidentally shot an 8 pointer with a field point, (grabbed the wrong arrow, thought it was an expandable) the deer ran 40 yards and died. goodluck!!
smile.gif

the blades do not need to be aligned with the feathers or vanes at all. look at all the people who shoot 4 bladed broadheads and get great flight, i am one of them. personally i'd stick with the combo you have now. dropping to the 100's will not benefit you any. if it ain't broke don't fiz it.

Assuming that your set up is corectly spined, the only advantage with either weight is that there are more variations of the 100gr out there than the 125.

I agree the differences between the two are minor. But to exaggerate a point it's about how much kinetic energy is transfered to the arrow and it's effectiveness at point of impact. Sorta like taking a bowling ball as opposed to a baseball and throwing them downrange at the same speed, it's pretty obvious which one would do the greatest damage. However there are differences ie, speed, material, arrow flight and distances that play into this scenario. You can manipulate your bow to adjust for these however my recommendation is to set up a foam target and shoot your bow at your normal setup and shoot the two broadheads and measure which ones perform better by accuracy and penetration. Seeing is believing is somewhat a better teacher here.

Don't forget about FOC (front of center) balance. If you were to shoot a heavy arrow, you might be better off with the heavier broadhead or your FOC might be low. If attached to the Carbon Hunters, that most likely will not be an issue. Also, the heavier the total arrow weight, the more kinetic energy you will have. Slower, but more energy.

Top Bottom