Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

broadleaf weeds in clover:

loneranger

I planted a clover mix back in May. It is coming up well,,very little grass in it, but there are a couple dominant broadleaf weeds in it. One is a branched leaf weed, sort of like a fern type leaf on all sides of a stalk. I notice it only grows in bare spots around my land where there is little competition. Not sure what you call it, but I am wondering,, when I cut back the clover, and hack down those weeds, will it kill them out, and the clover take over. Or will they always be in it,unless I use some weed killer? Also,, when should I cut off my clover first time. How tall should it be? Thank You!

[ QUOTE ]
I planted a clover mix back in May. It is coming up well,,very little grass in it, but there are a couple dominant broadleaf weeds in it. One is a branched leaf weed, sort of like a fern type leaf on all sides of a stalk. I notice it only grows in bare spots around my land where there is little competition. Not sure what you call it, but I am wondering,, when I cut back the clover, and hack down those weeds, will it kill them out, and the clover take over. Or will they always be in it,unless I use some weed killer? Also,, when should I cut off my clover first time. How tall should it be? Thank You!

[/ QUOTE ]

I always try clipping broadleaves first and try controlling them that way before resorting to spray...but the ones you describe may need to be sprayed as well.

I clip my clover when it gets heavier to the point that it will start to flower and get rank but you can raise the mower and clip weeds anytime just above the clover, if the clover is only a few inches high.

If it's a 8-10" high...mow it to 3" or so

Bob coine has an excellent video series called "building whitetail paradise" and he did some testing pertaining to clover mowing heights.His tests showed no noticeable regrowth differences in heights ranging from a couple inches on up.In my clover plots i seem to be able to control the undesirable broadleafs mostly by mowing, its the grasses that seem to compete with the clover.In those grass cases i have had good success with poast plus.hope this helps

Top Bottom