Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck tending doe @ 50 yards

T

Turkey River

I had a doe bed down 50 yards up wind of me today for over 2 1/2 hours. I thought this would be perfect as I knew sooner or later a buck would come around to check her out. Sure enough at 4:00 a 10 point buck came in and checked her out. The buck stayed around the doe for over 1/2 hour, but never came into bow range. I grunted several times and all the buck would do was stomp his feet. Eventually they ran off together out of bow range. He was a older buck as his face was starting to turn gray. Any ideas how to get a buck away from a doe and into bow range?

The first thing I would try would be, to rattle abit. It doesn't have to be hard, just enough to get his attention. But the buck that you saw, you probably couldn't of rattled at him with out him seeing you move. But if a buck is pinned up a ways away, I would deffinetly rattle abit, but only in prerut or rut, not in post rut, or late in gun season.
The second thing you could try would be, a doe bleat. If you don't have it, get the Primos Can!! Easy to use, sounds real, and when that buck is close, it doesn't take much movement as a mouth call.
Good hunting, Jason v

Top Bottom