Buckshot Anyone?

B

BSJelken

Do any of you use or know of anyone who uses buckshot?
I'm looking for a little info in regards to:
max effective range?
choke tube suggestions?
advantages over slugs?
I really don't plan on using buckshot but I saw some on the shelf the other day and was curious as to why a person would choose it over slugs.

Buckshot is used for close ranges. Im not a fan of having a lot of holes in my deer. The suggested choke tube on a remington is a full choke. Im not sure if you gun is different. I cant answer on the range. but i think it is something like 30 yards.

with a full choke 4buck works VERY well up to 40-50 yards on coyotes and 30 yards on crows. as far as deer...i don't think it's legal in iowa...of course i could be wrong. i'd rather have a nice slug if i were shotgunning.

Speaking of BUCKSHOT. This year one of the does I shot during bow season in a public hunting area had an old "00" pelet lodged along the back bone. There was no scar on the hide or anything so it was from at least a year ago. Other than that the doe was perfectly healthy and had her twins with her when I shot her. It was a reminder to me that even though I have never seen anyone poaching, they are around. It also makes me wonder if that guy I saw carrying an old model 12 last year during bow season was really squirrel hunting like he said.

IaCraig

An Iowa resident can legally harvest 11 or 12 deer with the right combo of seasons and weapons. Other than just being an outlaw, why would any one even think about poaching deer. I understand that there will always be those who can't or won't harvest a big buck legally, but why would any one poach a doe today?

Bowmaker, because they can! That doe is nothing more than a live target for a little Friday night fun for a couple of drunk rednecks. Same folks don't believe in hunting licenses or hunting seasons.

...it is a hard mindset for many of us to understand, but a few (too many) head to the fields just to shoot something...their fun is based on the number of times their guns go off...a couple of years ago our area CO ticketed some opening day pheasant hunters (on a large public area) for shooting (and killing) a deer with bird shot...when asked why they did it their response was 'because it was fun'...they supposedly weren't too shook up by the ticket either, only in being caught!...on a similar note I took a goose this last fall that had lead #8's in it...

...we are getting a little off the posted subject however, maybe need to start a new thread...

It makes me sick to hear stories of people killing game or wounding game because they get there jollies out of killing, and not actually hunting and stalking game. To hear stories of people shooting deer while hanging out of the window of there truck, or off there porch. Why do that, were is the challenge, what is the accomplishment of that? And most of all, it's unethical!!!!!! These people should be stripped with all hunting rights even the right to bear arms, because they just give us ethical, law abidding hunters a bad rep!
Just my 2 cents

Jason V

It is ILLEGAL to use buckshot in Iowa to hunt deer. You can use single projectiles only to hunt deer (slugs only). I know buckshot is an awesome load for coyotes and I have a few boxes of OO for my "door-greeter"-short barreled shotgun.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Easy boy
wink.gif

Bowmaker, I can't explain why someone would poach any deer, however it happens all the time and if you don't believe it your only fooling yourself. There are people hunting out of season, using high powers, buckshot, bow hunters not tagging does and hunters legally shooting deer but putting somone elses tag on it.(often landowners "free tag"). I suppose there are lots of reasons they do this but the biggest is probably that they have been doing it for years and have never been caught. Personally I have bow hunted for 27 years, and shot many deer in public and private ground. (every one legally taken & tagged.) To date, I have never even seen a CO while bowhunting or dragging a deer out, so I can see where people can get away with it. It is not my intent to slam the DNR. But it is a fact that the state of Iowa is too big for a team of less than 100 CO's to even begin to cover it 24 hours a day, 12 months a year.

IaCraig

I beleive that poaching does happen, I just don't understand the mentality. In my younger years I might have streched some interpertations of some laws because things were much more restrictive then. Now there are so many legal opprotunities that cover such a long time span that I can't understand why anyone would risk loosing property and hunting rights. Maybe I have just learned to appreciate these priviledges more as I have matured.

Back