Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buddy's First Bow Bird

jjohnson

Got out this morning with a friend of mine and thought it was going to be a long morning. Only heard one gobble on the roost and he went the other way. About 7:15 this guy was skirting us at 90yds following a hen. I got him to look our way and see the Peep'n Tom but he wasn't interested. Turned him back and forth a few times with the Strutt'n 360 and he just couldn't take it. He took his time closing the distance and I thought we were never going to get him to cross the fence and come into the woods. I just kept turning the decoy and he kept moving closer. He stopped at 12 yds for what seemed like forever and I thought he had enough so I gave the order. TJ let him have it and off he ran. We let him sit for an hour and a half and almost had a double when another tom come in from behind and locked up 20yds behing the blind. I just couldn't get a clean shot.

Luck was definitely on our side because when we got into the draw where we last saw him there was no bird. We did a big circle and come back through the ridge. TJ spotted a matched set of sheds up ahead and a few steps later I jumped the bird. He ran 75 yds into a draw and TJ was able to sneak with 10yds and get another arrow in him. It's amazing how tough these birds are. Hopefully I'll have a picture of my own up here soon.

picture.php

Thought this was a pretty sweet picture...
picture.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom