Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Build this hunting property!

bowman

Super Moderator
This property will be timber harvested this winter and will require replanting. If you could rebuild it, where would you put bedding areas, plots, and hardwoods? It is 40 acres of flat river bottom with a dike on the west and south sides built by the neighbor to keep his woods from flooding. My parking area will be on the southwest corner and I utilize the dikes for concealment. Thanks ahead of time!

1064South_40-2.JPG

Wayne, Where are the natural crossings on the river? Where are other close pieces of sizeable timber? And I want the video from Owatana
grin.gif
!

Here are two more photos. I have shown the natural river crossings in red. The one on the right recieves the most action but is very hard to get to. The two best stands on the property (for now) are marked with green X's capitalizing on the only real terain features. I boxed an area in blue showing thickest bedding area right now but they bed all over it. I also hunt the area bordered in white to the northeast but my main concern for rebuilding is the area in yellow. Parking area is boxed in pink.

Also, when you are thinking of trees to plant, remember that the timber does flood from time to time.
confused.gif

1064South_40-3.JPG

And this photo shows the overal of the river bottom and bordering cover. See any good funnels?
grin.gif

1064Porperty_Overall-1.JPG

Travis, I'll be saving the Owatana video for another time!
grin.gif

Since it is a wet area I would plant the regular cottonwood and silver maples just to get some "quick growers" going. Walnut and swamp white oak would be next. If you have any areas of the property that might rise slightly, like an old natural river terrace, I would plant some burr oak on those spots. And just for some variety I would plant some hackberry as well.

Looks like you've picked a great piece of ground. It is exactly what I would like to pick up in the future.

Gunner, why hackberry?

Hackberry does well in a variety of soil types and is an excellant choice for wildlife. The berries are eaten by numerous bird and mammal species. The thick, corrugated/protruding bark pattern gives alot of grip for climbing treestands as well
grin.gif

Travis, North, North east, and east fields are either hidden or a long view from the roads and seem to be prefered. South and West are very visible from the road but I see alot of acitvity along the river coming and going from the northwest along the field.

What I would do is create some food plots within the timber between bedding areas and preferred ag fields where deer tend to feed now. Bedding areas that you can get to the down wind side undetected and be able to hang behind the food plots in a funnel or created funnel and try to catch bucks as the scent check the secluded food plots. In the morning on the way back to bed or during daylight on the way to the ag fields in the evening. If the existing bedding areas do not favor this create new thick areas and keep away from them. It sounds like you have good egress of the property with the dikes and river so that shouldn't be too hard. Another set up I like is small zig zag plots that lead to the ag fields. These allow quick, quiet set up, and the feeling of safety to the deer as they make there way to the larger fields in the evening and a quick bite to eat back to bedding in the morning. Remember to set up different plots for different wind situations. Early season southerly wind plots may include clover, alfalfa, etc. and Brassicas, etc. for later Northerly winds. I would focus on hunting bucks as they try to check out your plots and does as the feed on the edges near the ag fields in the early season and right on or just off the Brassicas in the late season. Edge feathering (or blocking) can help focus those areas as well. If you are looking for long term trees you may want to check Swamp White Oaks I think they are tolerant to this type of property. Fruit trees would be a nice asset as well if you have anywhere favorable to growing them. I also would rip and tear for a year get in do the bulk of the work piss off all the deer and then enjoy the benefits for years to come. Adding a four wheeler loop to get deer out may be beneficial and less intrusive than dragging deer out and will make maintenance much easier.

If you can leave the timber North of the river, you'll have a prime spot for a tree stand in the corridor between the two larger chunks of timber, once the rest of the 40 is chopped down.

with that being ideal bottom ground I would look at planting some bur oak, swamp white oak, swamp chestnut oak, black walnut, schuttes oak, bebbs oak, hackberry, hazelnuts and the rest be whatever regenerates after they cut down the timber. That stuff will be so thick and have so much food it should be loaded with deer for a few years till the trees take back over and even then I am sure it will have plenty
grin.gif
I would imagine the entire 40 will end up being a bedding area after the clear cut. I would try to place the permanent bedding area on the upwind side of your stands or put them where it will be easier to get to and from your stand to set up on bucks.

You could order some of those trees from state nurseries also check out
www.morsenursery.com
www.oikostreecrops.com

Top Bottom