Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

butchering question

liv4archery

PMA Member
I am going antelope hunting this weekend and am planning on butchering the goats due to warm climate. I have never quartered an animal before. I believe I have it figured out until I get to the hind quarters. Is there any way I can take the hind quarters without sawing through the bones?

The hind quarters are fairly easy to remove. Just cut at the hip joint. You can find this by bending the quarter upwards. There will be a depression at the joint and you can start cutting there. Make clean cuts in this area. The ball and socket joint will separate cleanly once you've severed the meat, tendons, etc.

I never cut through the pelvic bone when I field dress, and I hang the deer by it instead of the back legs by tying the rope around it through the field dressing cuts. When I go to butcher it, I cut the hind leg away until I expose the ball and socket joint, Pull the leg to pop the joint apart, then cut through anything still holding the joint. Work your knife around the tailbone and pelvis and the whole hindquarter will fall right off (make sure you catch it!) I do this after I remove the backstraps. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Top Bottom