Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BUTTERPRINT??

Skully

PMA Member
I recently had about 3/4 of an acre of volunteer ash trees in a water-way cleared to get things in check for a renewal of my 10 year contract. I have put off re-seeding and now have a SOLID stand of butterprint in that area where the dozers broke ground. I don't see any butterprint anywhere else on the farm? Where did it come from and is it considered a noxious weed? Should I spray it, then disc and plant brome or what would you guys suggest? Thanks

Whatever you do don't plant brome.

Unless you want a solid stand of nearly worthless habitat.

From what I can find butterprint is velvet leaf, so yes it's a weed you should probably kill off and replant the area.

I realize brome is cheap but it's such poor habitat (I guess it's fine to hide a deer but poor for pheasants/quail ect) a NWSG mix of cultivars instead of local ecotype seed is still fairly inexpensive, and provides some internal structure, add alfalfa or clover or use a CP-25 mix for even better habitat.

[ QUOTE ]
Where did it come from and is it considered a noxious weed? Should I spray it, then disc and plant brome or what would you guys suggest? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

That stuff comes up anywhere I've ever disturbed the ground Skully. I sure wouldn't let it go to seed, so you on the right track.
They do have Waterway Mixes that have several types of grasses including rye or wheat to get some quick cover growing.
Anyplace to hang a teee stand? There's always clover...
smile.gif

I was worried about planting clover there in case I have to re-spray for any velvet leaf that may spring back up. Plus it is CRP ground so I figured they would want me to plant it back to native grasses? I'll get the sprayer on it this week, so be ready for some rain!
grin.gif
It only rains when I plan on doing something that doesn't require the need for rain.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Get to spraying Skully!!!
grin.gif

We could use the rain!
evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
All I had to do is TALK about spraying and we got a nice shower this morning!
grin.gif
I may keep this thing going and maybe my pond will fill up before I'm old enough to retire!
grin.gif

I just now figured out that you guys are talking about "BUTTON WEED" the bean walkers friend.

I always wonder how plants get their "common" names and how the names differ from area to area. I suppose the origin of the name I know it as could be "Butt On" weed. Maybe yours is "Butt Print" on weed. Or even "Butt Butter" weed. Oh the possibliities are endless.

The Butonker

If you are ever caught in the boonies with a gut cramp
blush.gif
that stuff is like Charmin compared to oak leaves!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you are ever caught in the boonies with a gut cramp
blush.gif
that stuff is like Charmin compared to oak leaves!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that explains the "Butt Butter"!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Just a little hint that my dad found the hard way He had water ways and they would not include those in his CRP plan, so we just planted them in what ever he wanted, I think he put prairie grasses and some oaks not sure. My neighbor also had the same problems with the water ways now he planted them for hay purposes. Might want to ask NRCS before you decide.

Also called Indian mallow.

Found in waste areas, roadsides, cultivated fields, and gardens.

A very common weed whose seeds can remain viable in the soil for more than 50 years.

Reproduces by seed.

Quail will eat the seeds of velvet-leaf.

Velvet-leaf was introduced into North America in the late 1700's to early 1800's. It is a native of southern Asia.

In China, fiber from the plant has been used to make cords, thread, nets, and woven bags

Top Bottom