Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buying used 3 pt. Tree Planter??

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
USED: Where would anyone start looking to find a used one?? It's such a obscure implement and not a ton of folks who buy one would ever want to sell one BUT I'm still gonna try and find one!!! :)

NEW: Here's the best deal I could find on a new one...
http://www.kelcomaine.com/tp300.htm
With shipping it comes to about $3,000. Looks AWESOME but the depth is only 8". Do you feel like that's not near deep enough? Any other thoughts on this one?

I want one BECAUSE I want to continuously just plant 500 trees here and there every year and it's just easier for me than borrowing one, especially if I could get a really good deal- I really prefer to not spend $3,000 on one! Selling my farms (getting married) to get something right by home SO I'll have to start the projects ALL OVER!!! :( or maybe :) Guess I'm happy and sad.

If anyone sees a used tree planter OR has any thoughts on what to buy, please let me know. Thanks!!

I'd look for a local welding shop and have one made. There is a local guy here that I would get a quote from and I bet it would be way under a third of that.

Really!?! Where would this fella be at? Very interesting and interested!!

I would think the seedlings need to be planted deeper than 8 inches in some cases. Depends on the species as some would do great with that, but I can think of quite a few shrubs that need more than that.

There is probably a shop closer to you, just got to find it.

Charlie's Welding

Show him a picture and he should be able to quote what it would take him to build it. If you had a 3 point implement that could be modified, probably save you some time/money. You might check out some local farm implement junk yards. Once field work starts, his work load will probably increase due to fixing broken implements. You might want to contact him ASAP.

WOW! Hadn't look at the link before posting. That is the Cadillac of tree planters! That might cost a little more to make.:D

I'm used to equipment where functionality is more important than pin stripes.;)

Don't know about the Iowa DNR but the Missouri DNR will let you borrow one to plant seedlings in Missouri. May want to contact the State Forest Nursery to see if there is anywhere you can borrow or rent one. Also, contact your local NRCS office, they may have one at one of the county offices.

If you only plan on 500 trees you could just use a hand planting spade and plant them in a few days. Actually get 2 and a buddy and you could do it in a day. Cause you would need a buddy to drive the tractor anyway! I have 400 coming to do this year and that is my plan. I would reccomend Charlies Welding too, if that is what you decide. I wouldn't be suprised if he hasn't already built one for somebody before.

I will do between 500 to 12,000 trees in any given year. I have borrowed one from conservation board BUT I thought it would be cool to have flexibility of planting whenever, ordering periodic trees when I felt like it, planting trees here and there & being on no time-constrained schedule.

If I could pick one up for $1,500 or whatever, it would be years and years of use and likely help me plant 20,000- 60,000 trees over the years. Money well spent IF I could find a deal! Thanks much!!! :)

What did you end up doing here, Skip?! Did you go 3pt or hydraulic?

I have been borrowing a planter local but it is a headache and unreliable every year, so I'd like to just get my own. I'm 27 and have my own small farm, as well as a family property where I'd like to plant at least a few hundred bare roots every year. Doing them all by hand stinks!

$3,000 probably in the ballpark for a new one.
I pd $1,000 for this 10 years ago. Very heavy duty.
Anyway here some pictures if it helps

Attachments

• 20240105_161008.jpg
    20240105_161008.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240105_161033.jpg
    20240105_161033.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20240105_161025.jpg
    20240105_161025.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 78
What did you end up doing here, Skip?! Did you go 3pt or hydraulic?

I have been borrowing a planter local but it is a headache and unreliable every year, so I'd like to just get my own. I'm 27 and have my own small farm, as well as a family property where I'd like to plant at least a few hundred bare roots every year. Doing them all by hand stinks!
Where does 14 years go?!?!? Wow!!!
So- I got this 3 point. Planted pry way over 100k trees with it. I leant it to a buddy & he had on a trailer…. Took a curve too sharp… flew off & hit telephone pole at 60 mph :)
2 days later I got this.
Both are great. Hydraulic one is pry a lil nicer. Things are built like tanks. Wish all farm machinery was built like these. I guess not heavy enough to compete with telephone poles. But super tough!!! Not expensive if look around. $1500-3500 will buy em all day long & last forever.

IMG_7804.jpeg
IMG_7805.jpeg
IMG_7807.jpeg
IMG_7806.jpeg

I thought I wanted one before too. I am now using a different approach after reading countless threads on here. I am using the advice of the guys that said only plant as many trees as you can protect. Hoping it pays off in the end because it feels like it is taking forever. It seems planting trees is fast even by hand. It is the caging or tubing that seems to take a long time.

Top Bottom