Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

C.R.P. Mid Contract Management

Skully

PMA Member
Got my letter in the mail that I will need to do some Mid Contract Management on about 20 acres of C.R.P. this spring. I was thinking of burning, light disking and planting some clover for the deer and some milo/sorghum for bird cover and turkey food. Only one thing worries me... I was on Welters site and read this:

Sorghum-Sudan Hybrid

Many farmers in Wisconsin are having good luck using Sorghum - Sudan Hybrids as a nurse crop for alfalfa. Do not use for horse hay or pasture.

An emergency crop that can be used for pasture, hay or silage. As a hay crop 15-ton yields are not uncommon. Plant after corn planting time as it is a warm season plant. When using it for hay, use a crimper to help dry the hay. To avoid prussic acid poisoning, do not pasture Sorghum-Sudan until it is about knee high and do not graze the new growth that may grow out, after a hard frost. Sorghum-Sudan is atrazine tolerant.

Characteristics
Sorghum-Sudans are not recommended for horses, either in the pasture or their hay.

Establishment
**Plant when soil temperature reaches 60 degrees farenheit. (In the midwest this would generally be the end of May or in June.)

Plant 1/2"-1" depth. Plant 10 to 20 Ibs. per acre in rows or 25 to 35 Ibs. per acre drilled or broadcast.

Management
All Sorghum Sudans can cause Prussic Acid and Nitrate poisoning in livestock.

Be sure to test your sorghum sudan products prior to grazing or cutting for prussic acid and nitrate poisoning.

Prussic acid often occurs when plants are green, succulent forages as opposed to dried and baled. If there is a high level of prussic acid, cut and cure the crop before baling, as the prussic acid will turn to a gas and leave the plant.

If grazing or feeding, delay releasing animals to feed until plants are 20" tall. **PRUSSIC ACID LEVELS WILL RISE AFTER A FROST OR FREEZING. IT IS RECOMMENDED TO REMOVE ANIMALS FROM PASTURE FOR AT LEAST 7 DAYS TO ALLOW PRUSSIC ACID LEVELS TO DROP TO A SAFE LEVEL.

What I'm wondering is..... if it is harmful to livestock, is it also harmful to deer? If my horse gets loose and eats some is it going to kill him? Never heard of such a thing.

The purple color at the bottom of corn stalks will do the same thing to livestock. Just don't graze or harvest into the purple. I think it's high in nitrates. The deer will be fine. Horses are not the smartest critters on the planet and will kill themselves give the chance... I think large amounts of dew/moisture after a frost aggravates the situation also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The deer will be fine. </div></div>

I agree...

Livestock are penned in and that's all they have to eat while deer are free roaming and unlikely to even touch sorghum at that stage let alone gorge themselves on it.

No worries about planting milo... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

There's actually quite a few products that have that disclaimer by them. I'd say no worries for your deer.

Top Bottom