Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Call T.I.P., it works!

Old Buck

Life Member
Don't just complain about poachers, turn them in! Following is part of a report filed by a dedicated TIP volunteer on the IBA website concerning the last TIP board meeting...

"Out of 13 cases we reviewed, the sum of the fines and liquidated damages ran upwards of nearly $40,000. The cases consisted of 41 citations, 2 arrests, and 4 license revocations and/or suspensions. Items seized were 14 deer, a turkey, 2 bows, 6 guns, a pair of binoculars, and a spotlight. Also an interesting fact, out of the 13 cases there were seven out of state poachers involved. It is important to remember that the fish and game violators come in two varieties---visitors and home grown."

Carry your cell phone with you when in the woods (I keep mine turned off until I need it). Have the TIP number, (800) 532-2020, your conservation officer's phone numbers and your county sheriff's phone numbers keyed in. Then call them if you see some thing they need to know. Poachers tarnish the image of law-biding, ethical sportsmen and women. Let's put them out of business!

I agree Old Buck no one can watch their hunting ground all the time but if everyone in an area gets involved and looks out for one another, together we can make a difference. As far as I am concerner these wildlife violators are the very bottom of the barrel and they tarnish our good name.

Sounds like you guys have a great program going. 13 arrests and 40,000 dollars is excellent. Most of the time you here of great work from the CPO's and when it comes to trail time they get off with a slap on the wrist.

What i would really like to see is every state punishing the poacher together. Some states have it but i think all should join.

If you loose your hunting rights for 5 years it should be in every state, not only the one where you did the crime. The only way people are going to start waking up is if the punishement is higher.

Yes, that would be great. I was just trying to say whatever punishment a person gets should be with him/her no matter what state they hunt.

I was talking to a guy yesterday that works for the DNR and he said he heard they arrested a guy south of here(cant remember what town)Anyway they got a warrant and searched the guys morton building and found 30 deer hanging in there.Which i suppose was ok but he only had tags on 20 of them.I just cant figure out 2 things, what would you need 30 deer for, and what kind of moron would let his party hang 10 untagged deer in his shed?So near as I can tell this guys looking at about $40,000 in replacement costs by himself

I'm struggling with a couple situations in my area that I've debating calling TIP about. The problem is they are all unethical instances where it would be next to impossible to prove. One was a bow killed deer found dead by a shotgun group that rightfully belongs to a young hunter. The other a shotgun killed deer that crossed a fence and died out of sight, found and claimed by another hunter. The third a blackpowder killed deer found on private property and not returned to the owner. In each case, the deer and blood trails were seen and followed properly but for one reason or another not found by the person who made the shots. It's completely unethical but I don't think there is anything that can be done. It just one (or 3) of those bad situations.

Top Bottom