Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

catching grass carp?

muddy

Has anyone ever caught grass carp on hook and line? I've heard cherry tomatoes, small wads of grass, and french fries work as bait?

Anyone confirm this?

I've caught them with an arrow attached to a string attached to my bow. That seems to work real well.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

I'm looking to get the new world record hook and line grass carp catch though.

Sweet corn kernels on a med size hook works great for other carp species. Might try it. I know guys who have hooked them on night crawlers but always lost them due to lighter tackle.

I have only ever seen 3 grass carp caught on hook

and line and all were on the same day about 25 years now! (Man, I am getting old!!)

We were using catalpa worms, which are predominantly green with yellow and black stripes, and we caught everything in the lake that day, mostly big catfish. There were three of us fishing at Pleasant Creek near CR. The one I caught had to be somewhere around 20 pounds, it took me about 45 minutes to land it, it was a rush.

I believe that catalpa worms are only available somewhere around Labor Day each year. We got them off of, what else, catalpa trees that we knew about. I think those got bulldozed a fwe years later if I remember and I have never fished with them since, but man oh man, nothing compared to those days with those worms!!!

I hooked one once but I think it was more of a reflex strike than anything else. When the worm hit the water, the fight was immediately on! Biggest fish I ever caught, a real tussle and rush.

that reminds me Randy, do you still want some grass carp for that aquatic jungle you call a pond?

I know where to get grass carp for free. This could be part of your next blog entry.

"Taming the jungle"

Top Bottom